Are Your Chickens Livestock or Pets?

Mine are my kids pets, but way back in the day when my mom was growing up, they had animals that would be pets until they weren't. In other words, they named them, they played with them, they took care of them, they dispatched them humanely & they had them for dinner. It was the best of both worlds during a very difficult era where you needed to provide food for your family & pets were a luxury that no one could afford.

my pretty girl is my loving pet :) she loves being cuddled and running around the house when i get up to get food. shes kinda like a dog ... she begs for my food and wont leave me unless the food is gone. she also hates being outside but i have to force her so she can get sunlight lol

All of mine are pets, they are part of our family. They mean just as much as my dog means to me. Even though there are 20 of them:lau But they each have their own name and personality.
We have had all sorts of animals and all have been pets. I personally am a vegan, so clearly, I do not really support butchering, ect. It can be kind of tricky to describe though, I do not eat any animal products, except for the eggs from my chickens.

Last edited:
Pets, for now. Later on down the road when I can have around 20 or more, they will be livestock. For me, the difference is in the numbers and purpose. My little starter flock (10 at the moment) is for training purposes. Would not want to have a livestock flock without any real life experience with poultry.

Mine are pets but I most certainly listen to the advice of folks that have significant chicken flocks and may consider most of them livestock. Especially when it comes to culling. I'm really glad I listened to folks here regarding Over Easy the psychotic roo. Although he was absolutely my favorite, he absolutely was creating mayhem and had to go to freezer camp. Or in my case dry ice camp.

Mine are pets. But I would love to have my own farm someday when I 'fly the coop' and then they would be livestock that I would respect and care for just as much, but actually hopefully get the guts to eat the culls.
Well put, me too hopefully. Its nice to humanely raise your own meat, and that you know how they've been treated, what they have eaten and that they lived a great life <3 :)

Well put, me too hopefully. Its nice to humanely raise your own meat, and that you know how they've been treated, what they have eaten and that they lived a great life <3 :)
Exactly! It bothers me when people aren’t willing to raise their own chickens humanely for meat, but instead go buy a chicken from the store...
And I ain’t gonna give up my chicken nuggets. Too tasty!

Back
Top Bottom