Argggg frustrated with dog!

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
So I get up this morning to let the two young dogs out for a bathroom break and found that my stupid old dog has ate not only random garbage but around a dozen raw eggs I had on the counter for the incubator. I would wish her puking sick for her naughtiness but then I'd have to clean that up too!

Just had to vent about her. She has been getting more and more defiant and naughty about food lately. Almost stole the roast right off the counter in front of me the other day.

She gets fed plenty - was a rescue dog and has always had food issues.

Thats a tough one since she is a rescue. That food issue runs deep. Is there any way to keep doggie from the kitchen? Train her to not enter the room? Maybe the distance from the food will make lessen her urge to grab and run?

We had a Cocker that would jump on the table while I was serving the food! He got crated during dinner after that.
hmm.png

She is almost 12 years old now. Have had her for 7 years - she had this behavior when we first got her and though food issues were never totally gone, it is getting worse again lately. If we are actually at the table she is trained to wait behind a row of white tiles - not allowed in the dining room at all. She is good about that. I think the puppy we got last month is bringing her dark side back out - like maybe he is going to get her share of the food. They are all fed from seperate dishes, and the two younger dogs totally seperate from her because she will gulp down their food too.

I'm more mad about the eggs because now I have to wait a couple more days to incubate so I can collect enough again. I knew better than to leave them on the counters edge.

I'm sorry to say, when dogs see an opportunity they take it. Let me tell you this, we have neighbours and they have chickens, but ones that are really Jungle Fowl types. One broke through the fence and laid her eggs in our plants. Our Gina (RIP) chased her out and consumed 12 eggs in 5 mins. Gina saw an opportunity and took it. So make sure that they are far from reach and teach her that you get a hiding or a strong hard No! for her behavior.

Nope none big enough and won't buy one since her health is starting to fail. She is just a big ole' dog. My daughter moved out and my son moved into her room from the basement. I am working on converting that to the "dog" room. We want to put the two youger dogs in there while we are at work. I will leave Sweetie out though since I can then leave their food and water on the floor for them to eat without fear of her munching it all. I am usually really good about making sure that there is nothing in her reach at night.

She is a realllllly good dog except for her obsession over food. Oh and for a Newfie mix she is terrified of water - I wish we knew what had happened to her before we got her. Apparently we were her 4th home.

I suppose the only way is to TRY and restrict her from certain places? Not the most sage advice but all I have.
smile.png

Oh, one thing, you might be right about her "dark side" coming out with the new pup around, especially at her age. One of our dogs is ancient and with any change he seems to revert back to behavior he hasnt done in YEARS.

Correct the behavior by setting her up for failure.

1. Prepare everything as if she had free access.
2. Allow her to make the mistake.
3. Correct her appropriately and immediately - in the act. (I use a sturdy rolled up newspaper)
4. Repeat until the idea sinks in.

Works for me. Everytime.

Edited to place emphasis on immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom