Argggg frustrated with dog!

ep.gif
Bad dog! Bad dog! Go to your kennel.
sad.png

I kept wondering where some of my eggs kept going...turns out it was the stomach of my Mastiff. And, his new trick is jumping in the back of the truck if you leave the tailgate down and turning our trash into confetti. Sometimes I wonder if he's worth it....grrr.

because she is a senior dog, trying to "re-train" her may be hard dogs can be like kids.. and when they get old they turn in to seniors with dementia. Restrict her access to the kitchen with baby gates you can get them free off of freecycle. then you want to leave things out on the counter to defrost for the day, dont leave them on the counter.. put them somewhere safe instead like in the oven or in the microwave (dont turn them on just use it a safe place). I have used dollar store mouse traps to keep my pets (cats included) off the counters. The springs in the $ store ones are not strong enough to hurt them just give them a fright. As for wacking them with a rolled up news paper, thats just asking for problems. If she was a rescue to begin with then this may bring on some unwanted aggression.

Please just don't set her up to fail. Don't leave anything in her reach and give her lots of hugs and kisses and vent to us when YOU fail!LOL
I hate the image the newspaper conjurs-yikes!
QuailHollowP&P :

Correct the behavior by setting her up for failure.

1. Prepare everything as if she had free access.
2. Allow her to make the mistake.
3. Correct her appropriately and immediately - in the act. (I use a sturdy rolled up newspaper)
4. Repeat until the idea sinks in.

Works for me. Everytime.

Edited to place emphasis on immediately.​

Quote:

Uh huh... give me a break. It's a newspaper.

This has got to be why my dogs are the picture percect family companions that LISTEN, and why people always compliment their temperament & behavior when they visit my home with small children about.

First off she is old and a rescue dog. I am not looking to retrain her - was just frustrated that she ate the eggs I was going to incubate. I don't think we could ever get rid of the food issue it is so deeply ingrained in her. She doesn't try to bite the hand that feeds her per say - just takes any food opportunity she can. I have trained her to sit, wait when she gets fed in the morning. I really believe that her behavior is just a fear that the puppy is going to get her share of the food so she needs to take it when she can.

She is a well behaved dog overall, not aggressive and lives up to her name Sweetie.

Yes shame on me for leaving them where she can reach them - I KNOW better.

I had a big fat cat that would steal bread if I left it out! Sometimes we just have to vent! I'm glad she found you.
My Mastiff is a rescue too-he is 4 points away from earning his Champion title. He is a very sensitive guy-I don't even like to talk too stern to him-he melts!

Back
Top Bottom