Argggg frustrated with dog!

Serious discussion on behavior issues? Take it to a professional. There are way too many people who try and fix issues on their own, 99% handle it very poorly. The other 1% have more common sense than normal or are lucky.

I have my own issues with a rolled up newspaper, if Im going to get physical with a dog for a correction I would rather use a leash or other dog equipment. You get a dog that reallizes the newspaper is only temporary and you have a dog that starts thinking steps ahead of you. That equals bites.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't beat yourself up. Things happen. People make mistakes. You'll know better next time. I too have rescue dogs. So I get it. Some of the things my dogs have done......wow.....but I learn.

I had a rescue dog with food issues. We always kept dog food available free choice and he would completely ignore people food when we were around - showed absolutely no interest, but if you left a plate anywhere he could reach it, he would lick it clean as soon as you left the room. He was highly opportunistic. When we could catch him at it, we punished him, but he was smart about it. I feel your pain!
hugs.gif

At least the eggs were from your own pens. I was waiting for you to say you paid $50 for them or something! Thank God for small miracles, right?

QuailHollowP&P :

Correct the behavior by setting her up for failure.

1. Prepare everything as if she had free access.
2. Allow her to make the mistake.
3. Correct her appropriately and immediately - in the act. (I use a sturdy rolled up newspaper)
4. Repeat until the idea sinks in.

Works for me. Everytime.

Edited to place emphasis on immediately.

I would never correct a dog for my own failure to keep things out of reach of the dog and prevent his opportunity for an irresistible snack.

In addition, this is an old sick dog, so I would not do this!!! I have trained dogs for over 20 years, and I have NEVER had to resort to striking a dog to have a dog with flawless house manners and High In Trial obedience.

I feel this dog may have a health issue that is making her feel like she is starving.

OP, could you use something like an exercise pen instead of a crate for her?​

QuailHollowP&P :

Quote:
Try running a Chow Chow Rescue for 8 years. After you've done that, come back and let's have a serious discussion on handling canine behavioral problems.

I dont care what kind of dog you "supposedly" rescued. To resort to physical abuse of a senior dog is never the answer​

Quote:
Positive reinforcement is great when you're trying to make a dog jump through a hoop.

Of course; the level and type of training depends on the dog in question. Some dogs require strong dominate role models. If you do not establish yourself clearly as alpha, they will walk all over you. You said so yourself - titles are an indication of temperament. Owning and breeding dogs that stand for a judge is an art form all of it's own. You're dogs have pleasant temperaments. This is wonderful. When was the last time you put a title on a dog who was disqualified from the ring twice for unwillingness to stand for the judge? When was the last time you produced a dog with a significant temperament issue? It happens. .. Have you? And if you haven't; then 20 years is just a number.

Perhaps I could've suggested a pinch collar on a 30' lead? Or even a soda can full of pennies? Regardless. None of my suggestions would work, because the OP indicated that she does not want to correct the behavior in her old dog.. - She was venting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually. Setting a dog up to make a mistake is how you really teach a dog. Its called "proofing a behavior" if you want the dog training term for it. A lesson isn't really learned unless a mistake is made after the dog understands what is being asked of it. Correcting mistakes and learning thru mistakes is really how dogs and people learn best and the lessons are remembered much longer.

Since she is older I would look for health issues. It could be a chance of opportunity but if it persists she might have something else going on that needs looked at.

When I am training a puppy or a new dog to the household, that dog never has unsupervised access to the kitchen.

You get just as good results with rewarding the positive as you do with punishment and negative reinforcement. I come from the negative trainers, did it that way for years. Yeah, it works. No, it's not necessary.

IN PARTICULAR in this case with an old probably sick dog, I would never set her up so she could be harshly corrected. I feel sorry for this old lady dog who is feeling like she is starving for some reason.

I currently have 3 adult Rottweiler house dogs, all of whom are titled show dogs, who would NEVER take anything that does not belong to them, whether is it left out in reach on countertops or not. These dogs have never been shouted at, scolded, threatened or struck with a newspaper, or otherwise intimidated physically or mentally in order to teach them how to behave.

Jamie_Dog_Trainer, I HAVE set dogs up with distraction scenarios when prepping for trial, however, I do not use punishment for the mistake, but reward for the proper response.

Back
Top Bottom