Arkansas Blue egg layers

Pics
Yep - and funny thing - when free ranging with the whole flock - he is low roo on the totem pole - I keep a watch to make sure he is ok - he holds his own - but never starts anything and is always on the fringes of the flock - I bet he likes breeder pen time ... ha ha

Notice your fellow has the typical large spurs of this breed.  I always thought it was a good thing my guys wasn't people aggressive.  LOL
Mine has some pretty impressive spurs as well. Needle sharp and loooong. Never an ounce of aggression towards any of us but I do worry if he gets out and the dog pesters him... He could do some damage. Most of the hens are pretty flighty but he is really great. Friendly and curious.

Hi every body. Im new here and found this thread while looking for blue egg breeds.

I have a question for you. Aren't arkansas blues just a solid color, clean faced whiting true blue? I did my own investigative work, though I havnt read all of the posts concerning this breed, I believe that arkansas blues are from whiting farms. Here's my reasoning

Arkansas blues were bred by Dr. Bramwell of U of A. He got his from another breeder. One of his students noted this as well, and that his flock make good backyard layers, but not a good candidate for a new breed because of the lack of standardization.

J Hall noted, on a for sale ad, that

"The UofA have dispersed their flock and the "unknown" researcher has sold his flock to an unnamed commercial industry hatchery."

Thomas whiting (owner of whiting farms) got his PhD from UofA. There's no doubt in my mind that he shared eggs with an old friend, Dr B. So if you fill in the blanks, the unknown researcher (Dr Whiting) sold his flock to an unamed hatchery (Murray Mcmurray).

Make of it what you will. If it's true, it doesn't make Arkansas Blues any less special. I'm just looking for a little closure to the mysterious origin of this breed.

Hi every body. Im new here and found this thread while looking for blue egg breeds.

I have a question for you. Aren't arkansas blues just a solid color, clean faced whiting true blue? I did my own investigative work, though I havnt read all of the posts concerning this breed, I believe that arkansas blues are from whiting farms. Here's my reasoning

Arkansas blues were bred by Dr. Bramwell of U of A. He got his from another breeder. One of his students noted this as well, and that his flock make good backyard layers, but not a good candidate for a new breed because of the lack of standardization.

J Hall noted, on a for sale ad, that

"The UofA have dispersed their flock and the "unknown" researcher has sold his flock to an unnamed commercial industry hatchery."

Thomas whiting (owner of whiting farms) got his PhD from UofA. There's no doubt in my mind that he shared eggs with an old friend, Dr B. So if you fill in the blanks, the unknown researcher (Dr Whiting) sold his flock to an unamed hatchery (Murray Mcmurray).

Make of it what you will. If it's true, it doesn't make Arkansas Blues any less special. I'm just looking for a little closure to the mysterious origin of this breed.
You are correct!

They were bred to be a Blue breed from the Whiting chickens. They were a Graduate project at the University or arkansas. I talked to Paul about this and he verified it.

They are special because the will always be Blue genetics. The chickens that are sold as whiting true blues come in a lot of different shapes and colors. The uofa blues could get into the APA as a breed.

Nice
1f60e.png
Now I can rest easy at night. Thanks for the great info!

Just a peek at my youngsters, now that they have found out about scratch and are much friendlier. There are 3 smaller ones, 2 pullets and a cockerel, from your eggs Mettella, the others are from my own birds.

0.jpg

Hey guys, my pullets from my Cinco de Mayo hatch are growing up. They should be 1-2 months from reaching POL. 3 of the 5 have darker blue coloring and some lacing which I am excited for. All of them have nice black/slate shanks. 2 of the pullets came from crosses back to 1/2 White Leghorns 1/2 project Ameraucana/Leghorn hybrid(I only kept blues with dark shanks and small/tight pea combs for future breeding).

Right on schedule is my suspected first egg from my U of A blue/project birds. 20 weeks old and 1 day.
The white eggs is from a 3 year old White Leghorn for comparison in size/color.

This egg was laid 2 days ago which is more blue and a different shape than my hens lay so it could have been a first egg but it is a bit too big for a pullet egg.

Back
Top Bottom