Attacked by Racoon, Severe Injuries, Emergency, Plz Help

Pics
Blue cote is high in alcohol and will hurt her very much! Only use that when other birds are pecking. For now, keep her warm, hydrated, and use neosporin! It is gentler and won't hurt like an alcohol based antiseptic. She may bounce back after around a week, and if she ends up blind, don't despair! I have a blind girl and she's amazing! Good luck!!!

Wow she's looking a lot better! How did you attach the cone? Can't wait to hear what your vet thinks. I bet he/she will be impressed with your nursing so far! Have a great day.:fl

ETA : When you first mentioned the scratching and the cone, I didn't think it would stay on ... but now I think there are ways. It may impair her ability to feed herself if it sticks out too far but if you are feeding her or if you remove it while she is eating then .... :D

Well, it didn't stay on, lol.
She was ok with it, as long as someone held her. The second she was put down , she would keep clawing at it and shaking her head & I felt like it was more distressful to keep it on.

The vet was surprised that she made this far as well and everyone that worked at the vets had to come & look at the chicken, haha. I didn't know they had that many people working there!
The vet we saw was different than te one I'd been talking to on the phone, but was really helpful. He cut the skin flap off & they were going to try and cauterize, but she squirmed so much, he was afraid of getting her eye. It bled like crazy, took forever to clot and it took two people to do it.

Got her home and she opened it two more times. Called the vet & took her back in.

They took her to the back this time, so I didn't see what they did, but one of the techs had asked (previously) about using gas, so maybe that's what they did? Anyway, she got the wound cauterized. It didn't look bad, at first, but has since gotten runny. I'm still going to use the Terramycin on it, until it's more healed.
This vet also offered Meloxicam for pain (the other wouldn't, so I didn't ask). I'm happy about that.

She's been eating like a beast too! :) She loves that slurry I made! I'm using the chick starter soaked in Corid treated water, eggs, and finely chopped lettuce. She can't get enough! Eating almost 4 oz a day of it, so she should be gaining weight soon. I did get to weigh one of the other chickens and they weigh a little over 3 lbs. I haven't weighed her today.

I think that's it. Unless something changes, I'll wait a few days and post her progress, but for now I think she'll be ok!
I guess that's it.
Thanks again to everyone, I couldn't have done it without your help & support!:love
RtEyeAfterBet08022017.jpg

The vet was surprised that she made this far as well and everyone that worked at the vets had to come & look at the chicken, haha. I didn't know they had that many people working there!
The vet we saw was different than te one I'd been talking to on the phone, but was really helpful. He cut the skin flap off & they were going to try and cauterize, but she squirmed so much, he was afraid of getting her eye. It bled like crazy, took forever to clot and it took two people to do it.

Got her home and she opened it two more times. Called the vet & took her back in.

They took her to the back this time, so I didn't see what they did, but one of the techs had asked (previously) about using gas, so maybe that's what they did? Anyway, she got the wound cauterized. It didn't look bad, at first, but has since gotten runny. I'm still going to use the Terramycin on it, until it's more healed.
This vet also offered Meloxicam for pain (the other wouldn't, so I didn't ask). I'm happy about that.

She's been eating like a beast too! :) She loves that slurry I made! I'm using the chick starter soaked in Corid treated water, eggs, and finely chopped lettuce. She can't get enough! Eating almost 4 oz a day of it, so she should be gaining weight soon. I did get to weigh one of the other chickens and they weigh a little over 3 lbs. I haven't weighed her today.

View attachment 1100655
I laughed when I read the part about "I didn't know they had that many people working there", lol. Thats what happened when I took my rooster to the vet. My rooster was so quiet and completely calm, he had been beaten pretty badly by another rooster, whether they were touching him or not even in the room. He just stood on the table and stared around. Not one feather ruffled. Every person who worked in the office popped their head in and said "I had to come see the rooster that everyone's talking about".

It sounds like you found a great vet....and he learned that a chicken can survive A LOT!
So happy he took care of her and gave you some meds but even happier she is eating now. You, my sweet @OG Anomaly, deserve big hugs and kisses for all you have done. You have worked so hard and blessings are all yours. It has been a joy to watch you love her, protect her, do everything you can for her. Your story will always be one I remember...keep us updated till she's back to "normal" whatever that is for her. :hugs

This sounds very good to me :celebrate. I hope our experts agree! So she might be down a third of her body weight, but she is eating avidly now??? How great is that!!!

Just looked at the new pic...:thumbsup

I laughed when I read the part about "I didn't know they had that many people working there", lol. Thats what happened when I took my rooster to the vet. My rooster was so quiet and completely calm, he had been beaten pretty badly by another rooster, whether they were touching him or not even in the room. He just stood on the table and stared around. Not one feather ruffled. Every person who worked in the office popped their head in and said "I had to come see the rooster that everyone's talking about".

It sounds like you found a great vet....and he learned that a chicken can survive A LOT!
So happy he took care of her and gave you some meds but even happier she is eating now. You, my sweet @OG Anomaly, deserve big hugs and kisses for all you have done. You have worked so hard and blessings are all yours. It has been a joy to watch you love her, protect her, do everything you can for her. Your story will always be one I remember...keep us updated till she's back to "normal" whatever that is for her. :hugs
X2 :hugs

Blue cote is high in alcohol and will hurt her very much! Only use that when other birds are pecking. For now, keep her warm, hydrated, and use neosporin! It is gentler and won't hurt like an alcohol based antiseptic. She may bounce back after around a week, and if she ends up blind, don't despair! I have a blind girl and she's amazing! Good luck!!!

Thanks, and I'd like to ask a few questions about your blind bird...maybe I shouldstart a new thread? It sure sounds like there are a lot of blind bird owners out there and pretty sure they'd be willing to share their knowledge, tips, and stories...?

But for now, I would ask:
Do you let your bird run free? How does she eat? Doyou put her food in the same place & she learned where it sits, or do you have to show her or hand feed her? Do you have to keep her separate from the others? Just curious, thanks again!

She was ok with it, as long as someone held her. The second she was put down , she would keep clawing at it and shaking her head & I felt like it was more distressful to keep it on.

I think that's it. Unless something changes, I'll wait a few days and post her progress, but for now I think she'll be ok!
I guess that's it.
Thanks again to everyone, I couldn't have done it without your help & support!:love
View attachment 1100655
Amazing how tough they are!! Then I remember they are descendants of the dinosaurs who did not go extinct. They are survivors.

A little oozing or weeping of the cauterized site is probly normal. Your plan sounds good.

Do you think Heni can see at all?

Haha, that's a great story about your rooster!
Thanks so much for the compliments, you're really kind to say that:hugsbut it was due to all the good advice from all of you!:D

I will definitely update and I'll be around the site, learning more than I ever thought I would about chickens! Haha:D

Back
Top Bottom