Attacked by Racoon, Severe Injuries, Emergency, Plz Help

Pics
Thanks for the update....I'm glad she is starting to fell better.

Thank you. :)

She also keeps 'wiping' her beak on the floor & the top of her beak looks to be longer than the other girls'. I think it might be due to her not going outside & foraging/pecking and it's not wearing down properly..is that a 'thing'? If so, can I clip it? I doubt I could file it down, not without her cooperation anyway. She also needs a bath, Badly. I think I saw a post about that & need to check it out. The flock seems to like it when it rains and I know that must help them stay more clean, thinking I could put her in the bath tub and give her a shower or something like that. Maybe even get a small kiddie pool and let her walk around in that...we'll see.

Thank you. :)

She also keeps 'wiping' her beak on the floor & the top of her beak looks to be longer than the other girls'. I think it might be due to her not going outside & foraging/pecking and it's not wearing down properly..is that a 'thing'? If so, can I clip it? I doubt I could file it down, not without her cooperation anyway. She also needs a bath, Badly. I think I saw a post about that & need to check it out. The flock seems to like it when it rains and I know that must help them stay more clean, thinking I could put her in the bath tub and give her a shower or something like that. Maybe even get a small kiddie pool and let her walk around in that...we'll see.
If she is still recovering I would not stress her with a bath.
Can you give her a pan/dish/container full of dirt so she can dust bathe herself?
You could put a brick in her "room" and she can rub her beak down on it.

If she is still recovering I would not stress her with a bath.
Can you give her a pan/dish/container full of dirt so she can dust bathe herself?
You could put a brick in her "room" and she can rub her beak down on it.

Didn't even think about the dust bath, will do!:D and I did put a rough stone in there, glad that'll work, thanks so much!

So happy she is fighting through. My girl still was needing to be syringe fed with me having to open her beak to feed her for 2 weeks. She refused to eat or drink anything on her own, even when all her favorites were available to her and she could see them. She started having explosive, very stinky loops and was going backwards. After having her had her seen we felt putting her down was the only humane thing to do as she was spiralling downward.

Show a picture of a beak from the following aspects; left lateral, right lateral, dorsal, ventral, and anterior. That can provide better insight into what are good corrective measures that are usually minor despite bird complaining a lot.

How is her weight?

I am babying an American Game hen that is totally missing her left wing. Hope is to get a late season brood from her where she incubates and otherwise rears chicks.

She also needs a bath, Badly. I think I saw a post about that & need to check it out. The

I have a good bath method bookmarked on my profile page. It's for show birds, but you can simplify:D. If her wounds are healed a warm bath might be relaxing - or just wait a bit. :confused: You could kind of 'spot clean' her in a shallow pan of warm water if it's mainly her feet and vent area.

Didn't even think about the dust bath
As long as the head wounds are healed - they use their beak and head to scoop up dust over their backs.

So happy she is fighting through. My girl still was needing to be syringe fed with me having to open her beak to feed her for 2 weeks. She refused to eat or drink anything on her own, even when all her favorites were available to her and she could see them. She started having explosive, very stinky loops and was going backwards. After having her had her seen we felt putting her down was the only humane thing to do as she was spiralling downward.

Aww, I'm so sorry you had to do that.
We are also fighting to keep our 14 yr old cat, it sucks when you have to euthanize a friend. You try so hard to keep them healthy and safe and sometimes it's just the way it is and it's more kind to let them go.

Aww, I'm so sorry you had to do that.
We are also fighting to keep our 14 yr old cat, it sucks when you have to euthanize a friend. You try so hard to keep them healthy and safe and sometimes it's just the way it is and it's more kind to let them go.
:fl

Show a picture of a beak from the following aspects; left lateral, right lateral, dorsal, ventral, and anterior. That can provide better insight into what are good corrective measures that are usually minor despite bird complaining a lot.

How is her weight?

I am babying an American Game hen that is totally missing her left wing. Hope is to get a late season brood from her where she incubates and otherwise rears chicks.

Wow! A whole wing? Poor thing, hope she does well.
I can no longer get the pics from my phone to my pc. It just quit one day & hasn't worked since. We did change our internet provider yesterday & I'm hoping that will help.
Her beak looks 'normal' but is just long, more hooked. She is eating fine, I was just concerned it could be hindering her or bad for her in some way & wanted to check.
Good luck with your patient!

Back
Top Bottom