Auraucana chick

SemperFiChicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2017
Baxter, TN
got this supposed little lady at the co-op today. First of this little tailess breed that I’ve owned. What color would you say it is? I see a wide variety of colors online for them.

Attachments

• 1289E387-18F9-4B2B-AAE3-8229AFDF33C7.jpeg
    1289E387-18F9-4B2B-AAE3-8229AFDF33C7.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 25
auracauna
Araucana or Auracauna? The first is a breed, the second is nothing (could just be a misspelling on your part). Is it REALLY tailless? I don't think any of the big hatcheries sell Araucana, only two I know of sell APA Ameraucana. Most co-op/farm store resellers label them whatever the hatchery they get chicks from labels them. No small Araucana breeder is likely to sell their rare birds at a co-op.

As others said, many big hatcheries refuse to call the non-breed Easter Egger by that name. Instead they call them Ameraucana or Araucana (which they are NOT), or they make up a similar sounding name like Americana so you THINK you are getting something "special". Frankly I think EEs are special. There are so many different colors and patterns. You never know what you have until they do their final juvenile moult.

I’ve read that in the past. It was advertised as an auracauna

When you run your finger over its back to its rump, is there a dimple where the tail bone should be?

Either way, it has muffs/or winter-face, not tufts... so it wouldn't be considered breedable for Araucanas...

Araucana or Auracauna? The first is a breed, the second is nothing (could just be a misspelling on your part). Is it REALLY tailless? I don't think any of the big hatcheries sell Araucana, only two I know of sell APA Ameraucana. Most co-op/farm store resellers label them whatever the hatchery they get chicks from labels them. No small Araucana breeder is likely to sell their rare birds at a co-op.

As others said, many big hatcheries refuse to call the non-breed Easter Egger by that name. Instead they call them Ameraucana or Araucana (which they are NOT), or they make up a similar sounding name like Americana so you THINK you are getting something "special". Frankly I think EEs are special. There are so many different colors and patterns. You never know what you have until they do their final juvenile moult.
I am SemperFiChicken’s daughter and I just took a picture of the Araucana and it has no tail

Back
Top Bottom