Aussies

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
We are looking for a new dog for our farm. I went by a place on my way home from work that has free, pure breed Aussie pups available. I was curious if anyone with chickens has an Aussie, and are they a good breed to have together.

Thanks.

I do, the Aussies are great around chickens. Once they learn to leave them alone, you will have a jewel of a dog. My current Aussies is only 6 months old and he hangs out with them on a daily basis. I started training him at 8 weeks. I also have two 7 year olds scottish terrier/corgi crosses, they are also good with the chickens.

Aves

Last edited:
I have two Aussies. My male thinks he of the daddy of all the new chicks. It his job to lick their little buts and watch over them. I don't make a trip to the brooder with out him
by my side.

When the adults are free ranging, my Aussies will be walking in and around them with no problems at all. My chickens don't see them as a threat. Just one big happy family.

it takes a lot of training and careful supervision to reach a point where you can allow any dog to interact with the chickens. but aussies are a great choice to do this as they are highly intelligent and usually easy to train. they are not a great dog in settings where they can get bored (being home alone all day). since you have a farm it sounds like this might not be an issue one of my dogs is an aussie / cattle dog mix and she is so good with the chickens that she even trained my newer dog (dachsund mix) to be just as good around them (ok I helped a little). good luck with your new puppy! I would start by bringing the pup with you on leash as much as possible for chicken chores, and distract them with treats/toys if they think of playing / chasing them, and reward them for NOT doing this.

Thanks everyone for your input. After getting this info and other information I found online, I think we are going to adopt one. It sounds like they are very loyal, obediant, hardworking, and intelligent dogs. Now I just need to decide on a male or female.

Thanks again!

I have one she is wonderful with all animals and she loves to lay with the chicks. she just comming 6 months and is picking up on herding and doing realy well.

It is best to meet the parents of the dog, allot of traits can be inherited.

I purchase mine from a working farm.

Our Aussie follows her chickens around all day making sure they don't get into trouble
thumbsup.gif
They even prefer her water bowl over their's
gig.gif

We introduced them early and often when they were still chicks. Plus our dogs are used to the cats around.

Photo0087Medium.jpg

Don't decide based on sex. They can all be fixed.

Sit down amongst the dogs and see who comes to see you. Then see if this dog will lay quietly beside you. A calmer dog that wants to be at your side will work better in the end.

We have a male and a female. One from show lines and one from herding lines. The show dog is more loving and likes to be close to us. The herding dog wants to be chasing the ball or working
most of the time. While they are both great herders, the calmer show dog is much better with the chickens. He takes his job seriously but does it in more of a protective manner.

I prefer females and have had the opposite experience than the above poster with herding vs. show lines. I find the show dogs are often unfocused airheads and the working dogs are intensely focused on the task at hand be it moving the chickens or just keeping an eye on them.

As for sex preference, I like females for the same reason I like working dog lines. They are also more easily trained in my opinion (I've rescued and owned probably a hundred dogs) and much easier to get focused. Males tend to be all over the place.

There are always exceptions, though. I do have a male conformation stock border collie that is a super working dog, but the best working dogs I've ever had have been females.

I do think Aussies are incredible dogs and mine can work chickens, goats, horses, and cattle and she is still a loving family dog that will cuddle up with you at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I assumed that they were not looking for a working dog but more of a companion dog that would be good with the chickens.
That was why I recommended a calmer dog.

That said, I find Aussies smarter than 90% of other breeds no matter whether they are from herding or show lines.

Back
Top Bottom