Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

You can get something called coopex at bunnos in the garden pest spray section. It's a powder that you mix with water then spray the coop with. But you have to get it into all the tiniest little crevices as well as the surfaces.

My friend who lives up the street reckons you can kill mites by dousing your coop with boiling water in the day time. I haven't tried that trick but he swears by it. I doubt it would have any effect on lice though.

If all else fails, there's always the vet.

You can get something called coopex at bunnos in the garden pest spray section. It's a powder that you mix with water then spray the coop with. But you have to get it into all the tiniest little crevices as well as the surfaces.

My friend who lives up the street reckons you can kill mites by dousing your coop with boiling water in the day time. I haven't tried that trick but he swears by it. I doubt it would have any effect on lice though.

If all else fails, there's always the vet.
Ah great, we have coopex already.

Bloody vet gave powder and sent us on our way.

20190129_111250.jpg
ok I know you shouldn't open incubator until lock down is over, but one new chick fell through hole of hatcher floor into the water channel. Hole is to add water to channel for humidity. So yes I opened it and got the little one out with 3 others. Blocked hole with tissue an locked incubator back up. 5 more eggs still in incubator and 4 chicks so far. Hope by saving one I haven't harmed the other.

View attachment 1656528 ok I know you shouldn't open incubator until lock down is over, but one new chick fell through hole of hatcher floor into the water channel. Hole is to add water to channel for humidity. So yes I opened it and got the little one out with 3 others. Blocked hole with tissue an locked incubator back up. 5 more eggs still in incubator and 4 chicks so far. Hope by saving one I haven't harmed the other.
Egg~citing! :fl

View attachment 1656528 ok I know you shouldn't open incubator until lock down is over, but one new chick fell through hole of hatcher floor into the water channel. Hole is to add water to channel for humidity. So yes I opened it and got the little one out with 3 others. Blocked hole with tissue an locked incubator back up. 5 more eggs still in incubator and 4 chicks so far. Hope by saving one I haven't harmed the other.
Congrats on the new chicks :)

Hi everyone,

I live in Brisbane and have just started to breed quails. Going into Japs, California and bobwhite. Just built new brooder and now starting on cages. Is there anyone else here who breed quails?
I used to but only because we have pet snakes. Mine have got old and I only have on left now but they were funny little things to have around. We have a massive big quail Farm in the town over from us that exports meat overseas.

Last edited:
We are sitting @ 31C [87.8F] with 60% humidity even with a small sea breeze. It is a stinker. I have just watered down the chook run. They have plenty of shade & cold water but it is still miserable in the full sun. I just found a honeyeater chick dead from the heat even though we have 7 birdbaths & a small pond for the native birds in our yard. How's everybody else doing?

We are sitting @ 31C [87.8F] with 60% humidity even with a small sea breeze. It is a stinker. I have just watered down the chook run. They have plenty of shade & cold water but it is still miserable in the full sun. I just found a honeyeater chick dead from the heat even though we have 7 birdbaths & a small pond for the native birds in our yard. How's everybody else doing?
While we have not been as hot as some places we have not had a day under 35c in about 6 weeks. No rain either and no breeze.

Back
Top Bottom