Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Hello everyone,
    I just bought my daughter a fan forced incubator with auto everything for her to hatch some king quail eggs.
    Here are my two questions to you all. I hope you can help.
    1. does anyone have any unique coloured king quail egg that I can purchase and have them sent to me in NSW?
    2. I have my home made still incubator and it is set the way that works for me. What should I set hers at, since it is a fan forced incubator? Temp + Humidity?
    She is so excited, but our quails are on eggs at the moment and are not laying. I also told her there are some rarer colours out there and maybe we can buy some and get them freighted or posted.
    So if anyone could help. We would really appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Martha
    smallbluejellybean

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    HI Jelly bean

I don't have king quails only Japanese but the setting would be the same. What brand of incubator did you buy? I set mine to 37.5c and 40% humidity for first 14 days (Take them out of the turner at day 14) then up the humidity to 60%til they hatch. Japanese quail take between 16- 18 days to hatch. Not sure about kings but will have a look for you. from what I just read 16 to 20 days for king or button quail. Lockdown day 14.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

A few days away and so MANY pages have been missed lol

Slowly working my way through it, love the shot of all those Ara chicks :)

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Welcome back Ben . Have you checked your power ball ticket?

5. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not a fan of Power Ball so we didn't get a ticket (two barrels, double the odd's is not for me), but I did hear a West Aussie scooped the big 30 something mil all to themselves.

We will get one for Saturday's 22 though, have a punt :)

6. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Thank you satay. It's usually 16-18 days. So settings are about the same as a still air. I usually have humidity higher in my still air incubator at 50 to 60 percent. The incubator is one of those cheap Janoel 48 ones from ebay. My daughter has wanted one for along time and she didn't have that much to spend on it.
    I personally like my little homemade thing, so will stick with that.
    Too bad you don't have any king quail eggs.
    Thanks so much for your help.

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Anytime. I have heard some really bad things about those bators I hope you daughter has much better luck with her's. I think they need to be calibrated too as the temps can be off a lot.

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Rexy looks like you stole my rain today lol. All we got was high humidity and really bad wind.

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Your right about that satay, I have 2 x of them. The second one was sent to replace the first one and the auto turner broke on that too. :he
    I strongly recommend that you calibrate the temp before setting eggs. Mine was 2.5 degrees out.

10. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Yes, I know, but she didn't have the money for anything else and you know kids they can wait just a little longer and save up a little more money.
    Anyways I calibrated it yesterday. I pretty much know how to do this, as I built my own incubator and know to check it well.
    It seems to be pretty accurate.
    I put in two really reliable hygrometers and two perfectly accurate thermometers in it and set it. Checked them every hour and it seems like this is spot on accurate. Glad she wasn't sold a lemon, but read reviews that scared me that she might have ordered a monster.
    It is harder for me to set up for incubation in the one I made myself. Its a still air one made with stuff I just found around the place. I have to set it up a week prior to when I want to set the eggs to make sure I have everything right and I have markings all over the place to show me the hot and cold spots etc., but it works. Might put a fan in it next time I use it. I have a lot of computer fans, so should be able to wire some in without any problems. I would have to recheck thoroughly for cool and hot spots again. Oh well for the future.
    Still trying to track down those king quail eggs though.
    Could you keep your eye out for me satay.
    Cheers,
    Martha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by