Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Blondie has gone full Broodzilla! When I gently coaxed her off the nest for a leg stretch, drink and something to eat she chased me across the garden .. I ran because my toes were exposed! lol
Oh wow! All penny did when I lifted her was a little growl then sat where I put her till I put her back. Yours sounds scary!, lol

lolz appps she is scary!!
hide.gif

Cilla and Tina who have both had hatches have been beautiful little girls, I can pick them up, I can pick up the bubs, no problems.

Blondie has been an education! First time I have had to don the garden gloves and I have never been chased across the garden by a chicken before
lau.gif

If/when these eggs hatch I do not think I am going to be getting anywhere near them!
wink.png

lolz appps she is scary!! :oops:

Cilla and Tina who have both had hatches have been beautiful little girls, I can pick them up, I can pick up the bubs, no problems.

Blondie has been an education!  First time I have had to don the garden gloves and I have never been chased across the garden by a chicken before :lau

If/when these eggs hatch I do not think I am going to be getting anywhere near them! ;)

Would have been quite a sight! Lol

Love the broodzilla pics Teila, not to mention the cute fluffballs! I need more chick pics, it's the only thing that makes the waiting bearable.
jumpy.gif
Just as well I'm not using an incubator. I'd be terrible. 12/13 more days to wait....

Hi everyone, I am new to raising chickens and have a problem at the moment with one of them. I have 5 in total 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Golden and 2 Black Bantams.
One of the Bantams has a growth on both ears that seems to be getting bigger.

All the chickens seemed to have stopped laying and I don't know if this is a coincidence or could somehow be related to the problem with the bantam. I am in Australia and the weather is getting warmer so my understanding is that egg production should increase Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks Gonzi

Hi fellow Australians! I'm a pretty big newbie here, but have owned chickens for a while and recently got two Indian Runner ducklings who are a couple weeks old. They are very cute and I have read a lot about Runners, but I was wondering how I should go about training them and getting them comfortable with us to not scare themselves when we catch them? Once they're up on the bed they are very happy, as well as when they're having a play outside and we are just sitting with them (they come up on to our lap by themselves which is great), but get pretty scared when I catch them. I've heard this is just a Runner temperament, but Artemis is a lot better with me than Athena. We handle them extensively everyday, so will they simply grow out of it?

Hi everyone, I am new to raising chickens and have a problem at the moment with one of them. I have 5 in total 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Golden and 2 Black Bantams. One of the Bantams has a growth on both ears that seems to be getting bigger. All the chickens seemed to have stopped laying and I don't know if this is a coincidence or could somehow be related to the problem with the bantam. I am in Australia and the weather is getting warmer so my understanding is that egg production should increase Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks Gonzi
No idea what it could be but looks awful. I'd try also posting this in the diseases area. Hopefully someone will be able to help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hi fellow Australians! I'm a pretty big newbie here, but have owned chickens for a while and recently got two Indian Runner ducklings who are a couple weeks old. They are very cute and I have read a lot about Runners, but I was wondering how I should go about training them and getting them comfortable with us to not scare themselves when we catch them? Once they're up on the bed they are very happy, as well as when they're having a play outside and we are just sitting with them (they come up on to our lap by themselves which is great), but get pretty scared when I catch them. I've heard this is just a Runner temperament, but Artemis is a lot better with me than Athena. We handle them extensively everyday, so will they simply grow out of it?
Never owned a duckling so no help but gosh they are cute!

Hi everyone, I am new to raising chickens and have a problem at the moment with one of them. I have 5 in total 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Golden and 2 Black Bantams. One of the Bantams has a growth on both ears that seems to be getting bigger. All the chickens seemed to have stopped laying and I don't know if this is a coincidence or could somehow be related to the problem with the bantam. I am in Australia and the weather is getting warmer so my understanding is that egg production should increase Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks Gonzi
That looks like a very severe case of sinus /ear infection. As gross as this sounds that is a huge puss plug inside the ear . Many sinus infections are a symptom of mycoplasma or upper respiratory disease , which would explain the drop in egg production. I would get the entire flock on antibiotics and start irrigating those ears with saline and a syringe . Puss in chickens turns into thick cheese like substance and once you start to soften it you can use an ear bud to remove it , bit by bit. Chlorsig human ear drops are an antibiotic available over the counter , but I would also give oral antibiotics. http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/diseases.html http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/poultry-medications/oxymav

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom