Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

morning everyone...you have no idea...lol...frozen tundra...thats for sure..it was 53 in the bottom of the house when i woke up and the pipes in the bathroom are frozen....starting out the day great

I have some good news to report. My black pekin has one baby. A buff one from eggs from the buff pekin. They are still sitting on 3 eggs so I will not be checking again for a few days. I will posts some pics as soon as she decides to bring them out.
Did any of the qlders feel the earthquake this morning? I can't get over the size of the area people are saying they felt in in. I felt nothing here but then again at 2 am its not surprising.

Last edited:
I thought I'd share this, since I'm kind of pleased that my partner designed something amazingly trouble free and awesome for me.

We're working on building our chicken coop and runs properly - like a lot of idiots, I got my babies before everything was finished. So right now we have two fenced in runs that are about eight by maybe...four or five meters each? The idea is to have three eventually, all of them for our twelve chickens so we can rotate the chickens and have one run for the chickens, one run sprouting green manure, and one run full of quick-grow annual leaf vegetables.

Anyway, my blather aside, my partner built a swing-gate between two of the runs, full size. If you close one run off, it opens the other, but the cute thing is that he has used rare earth magnets for the catch. So the gate has recycled metal plates on both sides, and recycled computer drive magnets on each pole - you can swing it, and it 'glues' shut through magnetism on the other side really nice and hard.

It makes it vastly easier for me, since I have one silkie who is an escape artist.

I just gathered up all of my 'expired' veggie seed, thousands and thousands of seeds, and tossed them into the current empty run, wetted it down, and covered it with some light hay. I'll be surprised if nothing grows, and in a couple of months, I can harvest whatever I want, swing the gate, and let the chooks in for some fun, then do the same on the other side.

I have some good news to report. My black pekin has one baby. A buff one from eggs from the buff pekin. They are still sitting on 3 eggs so I will not be checking again for a few days. I will posts some pics as soon as she decides to bring them out.
Did any of the qlders feel the earthquake this morning? I can't get over the size of the area people are saying they felt in in. I felt nothing here but then again at 2 am its not surprising.
Nope, didn't feel a thing. I was dead to the world sleeping.

Congrats on hatches everyone!!
wee.gif

my mum felt it in north bundaberg

morning everyone...you have no idea...lol...frozen tundra...thats for sure..it was 53 in the bottom of the house when i woke up and the pipes in the bathroom are frozen....starting out the day great

Oh, believe me, I have an idea
big_smile.png
. Suppose to have 8" snow by morning and more to come this weekend. Yeah
sad.png
. Birdman, last year, our electric was out for 4 days in sub zero weather. We have a fireplace insert and a propane heater. Anyways, pipes under our house busted. DH was trying to cut holes in the floor to get to them and accidently set the house on fire from sparks that the circular saw sent under the house. Remember, we had no water and no electric. He called 911 and emergency personnel showed up. It was nuts. Luckily no real damage. Just a smoke filled house. The week before last week our pipes busted again. Our yard is like an ice skating rink. Can't wait til that thaws and becomes a big sloppy mud slide. Ugh.

@Fancychooklady , those pics of your babies are gorgeous! Your phone takes nice pics. Mine is a cheap phone that takes very poor quality pics.

I thought I'd share this, since I'm kind of pleased that my partner designed something amazingly trouble free and awesome for me.

We're working on building our chicken coop and runs properly - like a lot of idiots, I got my babies before everything was finished. So right now we have two fenced in runs that are about eight by maybe...four or five meters each? The idea is to have three eventually, all of them for our twelve chickens so we can rotate the chickens and have one run for the chickens, one run sprouting green manure, and one run full of quick-grow annual leaf vegetables.

Anyway, my blather aside, my partner built a swing-gate between two of the runs, full size. If you close one run off, it opens the other, but the cute thing is that he has used rare earth magnets for the catch. So the gate has recycled metal plates on both sides, and recycled computer drive magnets on each pole - you can swing it, and it 'glues' shut through magnetism on the other side really nice and hard.

It makes it vastly easier for me, since I have one silkie who is an escape artist.

I just gathered up all of my 'expired' veggie seed, thousands and thousands of seeds, and tossed them into the current empty run, wetted it down, and covered it with some light hay. I'll be surprised if nothing grows, and in a couple of months, I can harvest whatever I want, swing the gate, and let the chooks in for some fun, then do the same on the other side.
That sounds awesome! I wish I was handy like that. Most of my run is made with garden stakes, plastic trellis and bits of the old chicken tractor, held together with cable ties!

Back
Top Bottom