Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

How's Carl doing Apps?

Still hanging in there. I've finally decided to 100% ignore the vet advice (was allowing her some time on the grass in the afternoons as they said that's what she should be eating and I thought the exercise probably assists the movement of food through her system). The more grass she got though the fuller her crop was in the morning. I was also thinking she isn't going to recover from this, she might as well be happy :-(

Anyhow, I've decided to give it one last try with 100% soft food only, so she was locked up from dawn to dusk yesterday and this morning the crop was only about half as full as it has been and she ate as soon as I gave her her food this morning where yesterday she ignored it totally. Going to give it 3 days and reassess. Hopefully the combination of soft foods and time having allowed her crop to start working a bit again will be the trick.

She is sharing confinement with winry till lunchtime each day. She is our slight cross beak and have noticed she also has diareah all the time and is skinny even for her at the moment so she is enjoying sharing carls get well food and is now standing at the bunny cage waiting to get put in each morning :). Think her molt was particularly hard on her since she doesn't eat as well to start with so fattening her up.

Good morning, well its been a month or so since I was on here, a lot has happened, lilly our light sussex hen has finally matured into a roo at nine months of age, she definitely had the tent tail and was different than her brother who we got rid of earlier at around 5 Months but alas she turned out to be a boy!

We are good at bringing up roos, now our 2 wyandotte chicks have turned out to be boys, does anyone know of any wyandotte pullets or full feathered chicks for sale in Adelaide, I will not buy from our fodder store again..

Our two wyandotte chicks dot and stripe, with fluffy and Betty

Last edited:
I use avitrol as well but the tablet one less wastage and easier to administer also a broad spectrum one. And no there is no egg withholding period on it
1f60a.png
it normally says in the bottle if there is.
I use the Avitrol Plus tablets. Much easier for me to give them a few tablets each over measuring out liquid in the water and ensuring they are drinking it. With the tablets, I know everyone was done.
I usually don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks. It isn't labelled for use in poultry so there will not be a withholding period on it, but to be on the safe side 2 weeks is generally a good window for me.

@appps I'm glad Carl is still hanging in there. Fingers crossed your "get well food" does the trick.

Sorry to hear about your girl @KerryF
sad.png

Thanks for the advice. After this time unfortunately she deteriorated and I now think it was Mareks also, but different progression due to being much older... or maybe just the injury after moulting lowered her immune system and she was unable to cope with a latent infection...? I just don't know but very, very sick of having to kill my friends and very angry that I bought from where I did in the first place.

And thanks for the links @TheChookPatch . Very beautiful birds I agree! I presume I'm not allowed to say where I got them, so will just say it was a so called "Farm" in Cranbourne. Happy to discuss via PM or FB PM is that's better. Nobody I asked was able to tell me where to go, one person suggested "AL" in Emerald but told me that they weren't very good they'd heard so it was all secondhand info. I came across the "farm" myself and wish I hadn't!!

Nothing to ruin your day like bathing and caring for a chook, only to then make the decision that there's nothing more you can do.

Will come back later and try and catch up on the pages I've missed once I feel calmer.
You need to spend some time on this facebook group.
You will soon work out who the reputable breeders are -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/476701592343192/

Good morning, well its been a month or so since I was on here, a lot has happened, lilly our light sussex hen has finally matured into a roo at nine months of age, she definitely had the tent tail and was different than her brother who we got rid of earlier at around 5 Months but alas she turned out to be a boy!

We are good at bringing up roos, now our 2 wyandotte chicks have turned out to be boys, does anyone know of any wyandotte pullets or full feathered chicks for sale in Adelaide, I will not buy from our fodder store again..

Our two wyandotte chicks dot and stripe, with fluffy and Betty

I seem to have been the opposite, over the past ~30 or so chickens I've ever bought as week-olds or younger, only 2 ever turned out to be roosters. Had a few close calls with hens looking like roosters, but they all sorted themselves out with age.
hu.gif

Bought new roo 3 weeks ago and was crawling with lice and fowl pox. Havent seen more than 2 eggs every 3 days since. Dipped them all for lice and 3 eggs in 2 days. My poor girls. Vaccinating for fowl pox on the weekend.

Ugh so 2 of the new ones and Hermione jumped the fence and were in together... So much for quarantine. Not that I could ever do a proper one given my tiny block, but I tried!
But 2 more eggs today, yay!!

Another egg this morning! Can't have been the same hen unless she had been holding that first one in half a day. I'm going with a second hen laying, I guess only time will tell.
I thought since they have external parasites I might as well cover internal as well, went I to the vet shop to get the flea powder (works out cheaper than Coles or woolies amazingly) and got a wormer, it's instructions are for small birds so I'm thinking I just increase the volumes? Any tips before I mix it up? Anyone know if this one would have a withholding period on eggs?

It says .5 ml to 20ml water so my middle of the night math says 25ml to a litre of water right??
Doubt I'll get any answers before I go to sleep lol, will check back in the morning

Avitrol plus isn't labelled for chickens but this is from their vet. Yes 25ml per litre. It's not very cost effective if you have a large flock. At least 7 days witholding period.
Don't forget the follow up dose in 10-14 days or you are wasting your time and money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom