Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

i Found the most adorable little nest that my three Isa's were using. :)
celebrate.gif
Its a great feeling finding all your eggs haha!! my three had 7 eggs in that nest the little sneaks.

If you can have more than 2 water and food points you can leave them all together without problems, if you don't the astralorps will stop the little ones eating and drinking, but they will sleep together fine. After 6 weeks old, chicks are fine down to freezing, as long as they is at least 4 of them.

This morning I put them outside in a big run I have just remodeled and made heaps bigger I had 3 food and 5 water containers and the australorps still picked on the littlies so they huddled in a corner. I went in and divided it up again. I am thinking of dividing the night time coop up better so they will not fight and the littlies will have more room than they have over the last few days. I read that a new area that didn't belong to anyone and heaps of feeders and water would help but it didn't, maybe mine are just nasty. they are not supposed nasty just bossy. Here's hoping when they get bigger and there's 6 babies and only 2 bigger ones they will hold there own or maybe I should just wait and see who's a rooster then worry about integrating, it might all be for nothing. I won't be able to keep roosters.

H​
This morning I put them outside in a big run I have just remodeled and made heaps bigger I had 3 food and 5 water containers and the australorps still picked on the littlies so they huddled in a corner.  I went in and divided it up again.  I am thinking of dividing the night time coop up better so they will not fight and the littlies will have more room than they have over the last few days.  I read that a new area that didn't belong to anyone and heaps of feeders and water would help but it didn't, maybe mine are just nasty.  they are not supposed nasty just bossy.  Here's hoping when they get bigger and there's 6 babies and only 2 bigger ones they will hold there own or  maybe I should just wait and see who's a rooster then worry about integrating, it might all be for nothing. I won't be able to keep roosters.

They are not being nasty, this is normal behavior . Unless you are introducing youngsters with a momma, it shouldn't even be attempted until they are of equal or similar size to your existing flock.

Wrote they other reply before I read the rest silly me. Thanks for your help everyone. I will keep them apart I have the room its just a bit more work with 4 different lots. But worth it if they are happier.
Again thanks everyone.

Hope you have all had a great Easter and got all you wanted done finished.

Yep, sometimes it's just a matter of moving things around to accommodate everyone. :)
I have just moved a not so impressed silkie momma and her 2 X hatched and 3x peeping eggs from the coop into a rabbit hutch. If I leave her there the rats will challenge her for the newly hatched bubs. I'll check them several times tonight as it is getting cold at night. Autumn , my favorite time of year. :)

Guys I need some help. I have to ask the age old question hen or roo, regarding my speckled sussex Iris. I also asked in the sussex thread but everyone here replies quicker. Everyone at home this morning but myself, heard Iris make some noise which they think was some feeble attempt at crowing this morning. I adopted her at 12 weeks, she had been sexed but the lady at city chicks said they had had a few 'gender benders' in the past, which is understandable of course. As she grew I had no reason to think otherwise, no early crowing, or comb development. If she is a he I can take him back and he can live out his days there, without ending up in a pot. What do you all think? She is six months old, and very friendly.
Ahh, that's a boy I'd say. Did city chicks say they keep the roos?

I'll check them several times tonight as it is getting cold at night. Autumn , my favorite time of year.
smile.png
My husband thinks I'm mad when I go out a few times at night and early early morning with a torch to check on chicks. The same man fusses over them and gives them treats and then builds better roosts, then fixes up the coop because he says its not good enough. lol

This morning I put them outside in a big run I have just remodeled and made heaps bigger I had 3 food and 5 water containers and the australorps still picked on the littlies so they huddled in a corner.  I went in and divided it up again.  I am thinking of dividing the night time coop up better so they will not fight and the littlies will have more room than they have over the last few days.  I read that a new area that didn't belong to anyone and heaps of feeders and water would help but it didn't, maybe mine are just nasty.  they are not supposed nasty just bossy.  Here's hoping when they get bigger and there's 6 babies and only 2 bigger ones they will hold there own or  maybe I should just wait and see who's a rooster then worry about integrating, it might all be for nothing. I won't be able to keep roosters.

I have had my babies (The only ones I haven't had a clucky to raise for me for a long time) out in the run for a couple of weeks now. I put them in a guinea pig hutch so all day they can all see each other. Today while trying to get pics the old Australorp (4yrs) got in with them and a couple of the babies got out. They were all fine as if they'd been seeing each other for years.

I'll let them run together properly soon, when they out grow the hutch.

Two of my Dorkings in front. Roo on the right. I so love being able to sex by colour so young. I didn't know that when I got the eggs.

Two girls. I had to cull the one with the bad leg. If you remember it. It wasn't splayed and it was not going to improve.

My husband thinks I'm mad when I go out a few times at night and early early morning with a torch to check on  chicks.  The same man fusses over them and gives them treats and then  builds better roosts, then fixes up the coop because he says its not good enough. lol

I woke at 2.09am the second night I had the little ones out in the big run/hutch. I had forgotten to put them to bed. Down I went. They'd put themselves to bed. Phew. They are right beside the big girl coop and were silent when I locked everyone up.

Back
Top Bottom