Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks everyone. I am doing ok. Still get upset when I go over the details.

They were very nice looking huskies (for huskies) and obviously cared for.

I had taken Lizzy, my one eyed blue Aussie to the vet. She has an infection (probably from the CRD) in her eye socket. It swell bigger than a large marble. So she is on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. She is also clucky. So I left her locked from the coop and nest when I got home from the vet to get her to eat. Just befor dark I asked my 6yr old to let the other girls out so Lizzy could go to bed. He misunderstood and let them all out - all three pens. It was just before dark so no big deal. Then it start to pour with thunder and lighting. So they all headed for cover.

I waited upstairs for the rain to stop. I'd got drenched moving quails in out of the weather from their temporary accomodation.

It would have been 20-30 minutes and the rain stopped. I went down stairs and the dogs were in the coop eating. I thought why would dogs be eating chicken food. Then it dawned on me what they were eating.

The coop is a steel avairy with a two door safety entry to stop flying birds escaping. I prop the outter door open with a stick when I let them out. In the commotion the dogs must have knocked the stick and shout themselves in. So I locked them in.

From memory, under council local laws I think at the very least they will be declared dangerous dogs - causing a world of pain and expense to the owners. I think if a dog kiills or bites an animal it is destroyed. I just havent had energy to check the law yet.

I will let you know what the council does.

Again thanks everyone. At least it was only one pen they got into and it was me not my small child who walked into it.

I really hope for your sake they are declared dangerous dogs and cost their owners a lot. I know dogs can get out, and we don't know how secure the yard they were from is, but it's still their owners responsibility to make sure. Hope you're doing a little better today :)

The saga of my Annabelle and the soft shelled eggs continues. She's otherwise fine, I kinda think she might have hit her laying peak being a hybrid layer, that and/or she's still not getting enough calcium despite my sneaking it into her food. I haven't used the calcivet yet, as it was really pricey at the produce store, but I will get some now and see how it goes. If not, she may need another vet trip. If she does slow down with her laying, it's fine. Retirement for all of them will be just a continuation of what they do now, being spoilt little madams. Looming retirement though is also a good excuse for chicken math. ;)

Here is the little one again at 18 weeks. Comb isn't any redder or bigger so still not sure

The hackle feathers do look like a boy, but hope it's a girl for you.

I really hope for your sake they are declared dangerous dogs and cost their owners a lot. I know dogs can get out, and we don't know how secure the yard they were from is, but it's still their owners responsibility to make sure. Hope you're doing a little better today :)

The saga of my Annabelle and the soft shelled eggs continues. She's otherwise fine, I kinda think she might have hit her laying peak being a hybrid layer, that and/or she's still not getting enough calcium despite my sneaking it into her food. I haven't used the calcivet yet, as it was really pricey at the produce store, but I will get some now and see how it goes. If not, she may need another vet trip. If she does slow down with her laying, it's fine. Retirement for all of them will be just a continuation of what they do now, being spoilt little madams. Looming retirement though is also a good excuse for chicken math. ;)

Hi, try Vet Products Direct. You can buy products online or pick up from banjo. If you join you get a discount. I saved the joining fee in my first purchase.

Lost internal pipper and it looks like the other two have gone too. ... i think they have anyway they havent progessed at all. Is there a ring you can see at the late stages?

No once that are fully developed you just get Little dead bodies inside the shell.
that what I did. it was fully formed but had not consumed the yolk, and little duckling that did hatch died... poor little thing was snuggled against the wall of the coop outside the nest and yet she still insists on siting on the nest. At the end a complete fail hatch.

Hi... I hope someone can advise me on one of my Hamburgh Bantams ...I got them from a breeder who told me they were overcrowded and had lost some feathers from 'bullying'....happily the feathers are going back and I have dusted them for mites. But one of them has a yellowish scale on her ear lopes ...see photo.... can someone please advise what it is and how to treat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom