Australorps breed Thread

Oh I hope you're wrong, I can't keep a rooster!
hit.gif

So there is a chance that it will outgrow the biting right?
there is a chance it will and a chance it won't // Is it biting out of curiosity or out of aggression? also depends on your reaction to it's biting etc.. if you let it chase you off and it sees that it get's what it wants it will continue.. if it is biting out of aggression you should gently assert your dominance with the chick.. asserting dominance can be something as gentle and simple as pushing them back into a corner or tapping them on the head like a mama chicken would peck//

there is a chance it will and a chance it won't // Is it biting out of curiosity or out of aggression? also depends on your reaction to it's biting etc.. if you let it chase you off and it sees that it get's what it wants it will continue.. if it is biting out of aggression you should gently assert your dominance with the chick.. asserting dominance can be something as gentle and simple as pushing them back into a corner or tapping them on the head like a mama chicken would peck//
It doesn't seem aggressive at all, not towards me or any of the chicks...I will do the tapping on the head, thank you for suggesting that!

If you get a no crow collar you might be able to get away with it without anyone knowing... ;)
Crowing is not the issue, I can't have a rooster cause no one here (me included) would eat eggs if they knew they could be fertilized

Hi all, I have a question ...do chicks outgrow their "biting"  like puppies do, or once a biter always a biter??

My 3.5week old  Australorp, has a very calm disposition, it (can't tell sex yet) does come close and climb up on my hand, it seems very lovey, and relaxed....until it bites!... and  It doesn't just peck at my hand like the rest of the chicks do, it pinches the skin and then gives it a twist, not hard enough to break the skin, but should I be concerned it might do just that as it grows older and stronger?

My Aussie chicks all used to hurt when they ate out of your hand. They seemed to not get where food ended and person started, but they did eventually settle down.

My Aussie chicks all used to hurt when they ate out of your hand. They seemed to not get where food ended and person started, but they did eventually settle down.
I completely agree. My black Australorp, Midnight used to be very rough when eating out of my hand, but rarely does that anymore.

Thank you both, you have restored my hope!
....lol now lets hope it's a "she" so I can finally give it a name and allow myself to bond with it!
love.gif

I read that several pullets have been mistakenly thought to be cockerels, is it equally common to mistake a cockerel for a pullet?
If by the time my A turns 5 weeks old it still has no sign of either comb or wattles, is it safe for me to assume it is a pullet?

Last edited:
Yes, it seems that you have a boy and a girl
smile.png
But you have to wait just a little longer to make sure of that.

Last edited:

Hello I'm pretty new to all of this but here's a couple pics of my Australorps. They are about 7 or 8 weeks. Thinking one is definitely a cockerel.
Hi, I'm new to this too, wondering why it took me so long
hu.gif

The one that you said "it's definitely a cockerel" do you remember how old he was when he started showing signs of being male?

I thought Astraulorps were all black and looking the same but I guess I was wrong cause I read somewhere on BYC that there are different kinds .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom