Australorps breed Thread

hide.gif
If they are all the same age............ I think Anna is actually an Andy !!

hide.gif
If they are all the same age............ I think Anna is actually an Andy !!
I didn't wanna be the first one to say that, cause I'm far from being an expert, but I had the same thought looking at that tail, comb and wattles
It'd be interesting to see the end results so I hope Chickenlover198 will post updates
big_smile.png

Well phooey! I did originally say I only wanted 2 hens to start with but I'm attached to all three! Guess I better start thinking about what to do with Harry. City ordinance allows us to keep cockerels until 12 weeks of age so I've got two more months for him to change his mind or me to find a place for him!! Thanks for the input!

Well phooey! I did originally say I only wanted 2 hens to start with but I'm attached to all three! Guess I better start thinking about what to do with Harry. City ordinance allows us to keep cockerels until 12 weeks of age so I've got two more months for him to change his mind or me to find a place for him!! Thanks for the input!
Did you buy them as pullets from a feed store or a hatchery? If so, do not give up hope yet.

Did you buy them as pullets from a feed store or a hatchery? If so, do not give up hope yet.

They were from our local Ace Hardware. Nobody had BA's around here so I convinced them to add the breed to their order. Supposedly a pre-sexed run from a hatchery. They had 6 breeds of 25 each. I really hope Harriet is slow developing and that's all!

They were two days old when I got them.

Last edited:
They were from our local Ace Hardware. Nobody had BA's around here so I convinced them to add the breed to their order. Supposedly a pre-sexed run from a hatchery. They had 6 breeds of 25 each. I really hope Harriet is slow developing and that's all!

They were two days old when I got them.
About %5 are sexed incorrectly from a hatchery. It happens but is not too common. We see this every year on the forum with chicks. It is not all that easy to tell until they are older.

Thanks! I'll try not to obsess over it then!
Keep us updated as they grow!

So far there are no indicators of the chick being a cockerel. Saddle and hackle feathers come much later. Red comb and wattles start at about 6 weeks old.

Slow and fast feathering genes are not linked to gender in australorps. That only happens if you cross breeds that have feathering linked to gender for either the male or female.

Yours are not crosses so the feather growth rate is moot.

If you did some internet research on vent sexing, which is what most hatcheries do, you'll most likely find directions that show 5-6 pictures of what to look for. There's so much variation There's no way I could do it and be right more than 25% of the time! I've tried it with coturnix quail and it just blows me away that those guys at the hatcheries can go through those chicks so fast and still be over 90% accurate!!! My hats off to them.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom