DiYMama540

Crossing the Road
Jun 25, 2019
SW VA
My Coop
My Coop
54826_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1542239072_.jpg
I picked one of these up at a yard sale over the weekend for 0.25!! On paper and in theory, it seems like a wonderful idea! However, common sense and experience is telling me this has potential for disaster with geese and ducks.

Sooo....have any of you tried one? Any tips?

I do not have ducks, or geese,,,, but do understand that they drink differently. Is the bowl deep enough to submerge the duck's beak/head sufficiently??? I would set it up, and observe if the ducks/geese use it, and results. I would of course have a separate bowl with water around, but in a different location. If ducks really would need to,,, they would find second bowl.
My second question,,, and only can be answered after sometime of use is,,,, How easy is it to clean when needed. It looks like it needs to be mounted to wall or similar.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I don't know if it would work for ducks or geese, but it's not a good idea with chicken's. I had one that I tried with my flock before when I had the Australorp's. The water in the bowl never stayed clean as they would try to roost on it and picked right under where it was at to start dust bathing. Yes, the dirt was thrown up into the water.

Edit: I believe that the one that you bought would be put to better use for a dog or a cat.

I have one for my chickens and I love it. It stays much cleaner than any other water source, and it takes a second to scrub and dump as needed.
I have mine on wood and braced with bricks. I ziptied it to the fence at first but couldn’t dump it out easily. Now it’s on the ground.

Keep in mind that for ducks and geese, it’s an endless supply of water for them to splash out and make a mess with.
It’s very useful, given the right set-up. I find mine invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom