AUTUMNAL EQUINOX 9/23/2010 set this morning- 34 eggs! anyone with me??

i dont know if you can tell from the picture, but i have that foamy spongey egg carton shaped packing material stuff under the eggs. so far its doing a great job holding the eggs in place. i think this is better because its not as firm, and will not prevent the eggs from hatching - an issue i've seen on many pages where people hatch in egg cartons. chick gets stuck upside down and dies.... not something i am interested in.

So my 2 dozen silkie eggs shipped today and I will be setting later this week maybe Thursday. May I join this thread? This is my first hatch so I am very worried. I am not doing a dry hatch, I am using an 1602 hova-bator with a fan kit, and auto turner. I am so excited I just hope I do not mess things up, so many things can go wrong. Where does everyone have their bator sitting. I was thinking in the extra bathroom incase I needed to run the shower for humidity, for candling it is nice and dark in there already, and I won't have to move around with the eggs. Good luck to everyone with your hatch.

Hi! Candled half of the 8 doz set 9/23 (rained all day here, so just passing time). All appear to be growing except looks like bloodrings in 2 white Silkie eggs and a blue Silkie egg. This is early for me to be candling, really. I'll check them all again on Day 7 and pull out the non-viable eggs.
Good luck everyone!
smile.png

Lisa

Just found this thread...

This the autumnal equinoxsupposed to be a good time to hatch eggs, or was that just coincidence? I missed it, but I'm just curious.

I don't have an incubator yet....

What's a better incubator....GFQ 0588 or the Birnsea 20 EX? The Birnsea is on sale now, but the GFQ is cheaper and holds more eggs.
big_smile.png

Becky .

Becky the Birnsea 20 EX is the better incubator from what I have read, I personally have a Genisis 1602 but and the 1588 comes preset which is a great feature, price diffrence between the 1588 and 1602 about 50 bucks.

Lisa what do you plan to do if all those eggs hatch?

@ lazyoranch - i'm sure a mattress pad would work fine, that is basically what i am using only a less "pointy" version. it has been very helpful keeping the eggs from rolling around so far during hand turning.

@sheila3935 & Dipsy Doodle Doo - that's awesome! so far 12 out of 16 Lavender Ameraucana eggs are definitely veining, and 12 out of 18 silkies! the blue/splash silkie eggs i have i am not sure were fertile, but i'm going to keep them in there a while more just to be sure.

@Letisha - yeah! might as well. the first hatch is the most exciting in my opinion. let us know if you run into any issues!

I candled this morning and one of my eggs has a wobbling fetus! yay! my #7 Ameraucana egg.
love.gif

edited to add: does anyone else keep a chart to track the development of their eggs? I candle daily and draw little pictures!
smile.png
heh

Last edited:
Quote:
I am keeping a chart in a microsoft word document to track temperature and humidity. But quite honestly, I am afraid to candle. These are my very first hatch and I feel nervous about disturbing them so I bought auto egg turners for both incubators. I would absolutely love to candle, I just do not want to mess anything up. I am really looking forward to these babies! Are you guys taking one out at a time? Thanks

@JT673 I feel the same way with candling the eggs although I will most likely do so on day 7 and right before lockdown. Just to see and I do not want exploding eggs in there also. I like the idea of using a chart on microsoft can you post it so I can see how you are doing it or better yet send it in an email. So I can save and then do mine the same way

@ xyresicchick I would keep a chart if I was going to be candling alot but I am not that comfortable with it just yet. Good luck with the b/b silkie eggs, well all of them but I worry about them since you don't think they were fertile. I also have b/b/s white and lav split silkie eggs. Your other eggs seem to be doing well so maybe these will too.
fl.gif

Talk about exciting my neighbor pulled up in his truck and I thought for sure it was Fed Ex. UUUGGGHHH oh well I should not get them till tomorrow anyway.

Good luck everyone with your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom