AUTUMNAL EQUINOX 9/23/2010 set this morning- 34 eggs! anyone with me??

Hi! I candled the rest of mine set 8/23 and the 8 doz dropped to 6 doz. Allll the ones I thought might not be fertile, weren't fertile --- phooey! Oh well, tomorrow I'll set this weeks eggs and hope the boys have figured out the *proper* mating technique, hahaha. They're trying, but...
smile.png

Lisa

last night i removed 6 each of the Ameraucana and silkie eggs.

Ameraucanas-
removed 2 "duds", 1 that quit yesterday (#8) which i'm sad about because i liked its color a lot and it was easy to candle,and 3 other quitters.
i thought i had 4 quitters the other day but one is still moving just a little, so i left it in (#13). i also have one other egg that looks like it is on it's way out (#15) but i am still hoping on that one too
fl.gif

Silkies-
so far none of the Silkies have quit, the 6 Silkie eggs i took out of the incubator never so much as veined so i am pretty sure there was a fertility issue. but not that big of a deal because i ordered 12, and they sent 18.

all in all, that leaves me with 8 lively + 2 slow/possibly quitting Ameraucanas and 12 lively little bearded Silkies.
smile.png
not bad for shipped eggs!

Last edited:
Ugh. so I'm pretty angry at my boyfriend. He saw a thermometer that read 95 degrees.... and decided to turn the incubator temp up. But he turned it up because he read a thermometer that reads cold. So that is why my babies were dying!!...
somad.gif
my ameraucana eggs #15, #13, and #3 all are dead now as well as silkie egg #2. it was 104 in there, no wonder they were quitting on me! I turned down the temp again this weekend... and FLIPPED out on him
rant.gif
for turning it up without consulting me first. i'm so aggravated at him.

so the count is 7 ameraucana, and 11 silkies. which is only a shame because i wanted more ameraucanas than silkies. the good news is that the babies that are left all have little FEET that i can see kicking the shell when i candle. it is so amazing!!!!
smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

His intentions were probably good, but what a bummer...
sad.png
So sorry to hear of your lost...
hugs.gif
The other babies will be here before you know it and make it all better
celebrate.gif

Quote:

HELP...rotten egg somewhere. I had one of the evaporator caps off and was peeking through the bator windows at our eggs and a smell hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. A rotten egg smell. I pulled one out that had a crack and I thought it was the one for sure. When I pulled it out, it had the smell over it. So made sure everythign was put back together temps/humidity going back up... great... Then I still smelled it coming from the bator. So I went back and smelled the egg that I pulled out and I did not smell the rotten smell anymore...........Does that mean it aired out or the incubator needs to air out? I RELUCTANTLY pulled each egg one by one and smelled. None of them had the smell......frustrated..I do not want an egg to explode. PLEASE HELP. How do I pin point the smell...Then I CANDLED, YES THE SCARDY CAT CANDLED the one next to the one that I pulled out to see if it was the culprit because the person that I got it from/ really my daughter got it from, said it probably was not fertile cause the the BCM roo only liked his BC Marans girls and not the RIR's and BRahmas the were in there with them....well guess what, I SAW A BABY IN THERE MOVING AROUND...If you have not been able to tell by now, I am totally WIRED and need help. They all just became that much more REAL to me when I saw that baby and do not want more than ever, anything to happen to them from this rotten egg smell....PLEAASE HELP!
barnie.gif

I candled my Welsummer broody's eggs on the 1'st and it looks like I have good growth in 9 out of 12. The other 3 I marked but left in since I'm not really sure what I'm doing:rolleyes:

Quote:
get 2-3 towels that you do not mind touching the eggs and toss them in dryer for 5 minutes. while they are heating up. warm up some water to 99 degrees (one minute per cup of h20 in the microwave should be fine.) and fill some water bottles with them. lay the warm water bottles down in something (maybe a box or small laundry basket) and then put a folded up prewarmed towel over it. fold a second towel around to be nest shaped.

put your eggs in the nest towel (you can even smell them one by one now to try and find any more problem eggs.) and then cover them with the 3rd (folded or even scrunched up) warm towel.

next what i would do is LEAVE OPEN the incubator.... let it AIR out for at least 5-10 minutes and clean any smelly mess in there... as soon as the smell is gone. maybe 15 minutes tops.... turn that incubator back on.

AFTER the incubator is back up to 99 degrees or wherever you had it, candle each egg and put all of the ones that have definite movement back in. all of the ones you are unsure of keep track of and keep checking them so they do not go rotten as well.

this should keep your eggs warm while you are dealing with the smell.

Quote:
get 2-3 towels that you do not mind touching the eggs and toss them in dryer for 5 minutes. while they are heating up. warm up some water to 99 degrees (one minute per cup of h20 in the microwave should be fine.) and fill some water bottles with them. lay the warm water bottles down in something (maybe a box or small laundry basket) and then put a folded up prewarmed towel over it. fold a second towel around to be nest shaped.

put your eggs in the nest towel (you can even smell them one by one now to try and find any more problem eggs.) and then cover them with the 3rd (folded or even scrunched up) warm towel.

next what i would do is LEAVE OPEN the incubator.... let it AIR out for at least 5-10 minutes and clean any smelly mess in there... as soon as the smell is gone. maybe 15 minutes tops.... turn that incubator back on.

AFTER the incubator is back up to 99 degrees or wherever you had it, candle each egg and put all of the ones that have definite movement back in. all of the ones you are unsure of keep track of and keep checking them so they do not go rotten as well.

this should keep your eggs warm while you are dealing with the smell.

Thanks so much! I will try this today. I went in this morning and found the egg that had the smell. I candled it and there were dark blobs around the air cell. The smell is still there, so I am going to try what you suggested to air out and make that there are not anymore. Will keep posted. Wish me luck, thanks again

no problem. i hope your babies all survive! my last hatch was horrible... the humidity was too high and i lost some and then they started smelling and i almost think that was why some of my other eggs didn't make it! but that towel/bottle nest is my plan if any of mine die/i cant find the smell. good luck!

Quote:
thanks again! So far it was only the one egg. I took out 2 others that were clear. There is another one that looks likee the veins are runny? The black copper marans were too dark. I barely saw what I think were the air cells in a couple. They go on lock down Friday. I pray they all make it! The smell is fading away finally. I hope your babies are doing well!

Back
Top Bottom