Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do apologize for being off topic on these posts but people have expressed interest so I thought I would do it anyway. I'm having such fun in Indonesia this is definitely the chicken country of the world. They have such diversity here's another amazing breed
http://m.youtube.com/watch?

feature=related&v=OwkTp7rchnM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOwkTp7rchnM%26feature%3Drelated
http://m.youtube.com/watch? feature=related&v=OwkTp7rchnM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOwkTp7rchnM%26feature%3Drelated

Do not apologize! These are great videos.

If I had one of those laughing crowing Roosters do you think Animal Control would be fooled?

I for one don't think it right that this greenfryer farms is getting all this press saying they are the only breeders of the Cemani in the states. Also I don't like them Threatening traditional farmers in other countries.
Allyn, before you attack Greenfire you may want to get your facts straight.

Greenfire does not say we are the only breeder of cemani in the United States. Go to our website. You won't find that claim. We can't control what other people say about our breeding program.

If by 'threatening traditional farmers in other countries' you mean pointing out that foreigners are smuggling in eggs in violation of federal law, then yes, we did that once in this forum in the past five years. We spend thousands of dollars per bird legally importing them. We are a small family farm --since you seem to be a fan of traditional farming-- that competes by following the rules. When foreign competitors are willing to break the law to compete against us, our farm is threatened and, for that matter, so is the health of America's poultry flocks. I'm sorry if you think it's poor form to point out that inconvenient fact.

In case you couldn't tell by the price tag, these aren't your friendly neighborhood hipster chickens. These birds are extremely rare and difficult to breed, according to Paul Bradshaw of Florida's Greenfire Farms. Greenfire will be the first breeder to have these chickens in the United States., though the birds won't be available until spring 2014.

I hope you could understand my thinking you said this.
I don't know about being the first breeder since Toni-Marie has had these birds for 7 years here in the United States and sure not the only breeder since she has been breeding them all this time. She just hasn't been selling any of hers birds or eggs until this year.

Toni marie had ayam cemani 7 YEARS before greenfire even though about getting them. Toni imported them in 2005 I believe, she has built up a line of her own, has some beautiful birds too...... In my humble opinion, Greenfire has nothing on Toni!

Wow!! He is a very nice looking bird!! I wasn't saying they were mixed. I had heard of them with white toes before but I didn't know they could come with so much white. I have never seen that before. If getting white only happens 5% of the time, why did I get two of them with over 30% white? Have you gotten this much white before? Does the white go away after the first year?
the percentages are just an average. Like usually you get 50% males and 50% females
of black to blue breeding give 50% of each color.

It doesn't literally mean you get that ratio every time.

and yes the white goes away on them as they enter into their adult feathering.
most all black birds hatch this way. The cemani usually have some both ways from what I have seen.

First, I have heard so many good things about Toni and her style. That being said it seems very strange to have the white come out like that. I have hatched maybe 30 Cemani Lite chicks. I call them that because they are not the pure black that you can get in Indonesia. Mine are similar to Greenfire. I have never seen the white like that, not even close. Also saying the white is a good thing makes no sense to me. We should be breeding to a specific goal. These chickens are really quite common in Indonesia and you see them in every bird market. They also are a wild bird that the people hunt so I can't imagine there would be a lack of genetic diversity within the black coloring.
Truly I believe we need to find a real expert in the field of genetics. Is this a real breed? What really is the standard ?
is this an aberration that sometimes produces pure black and sometimes not? For me and just for me I would be very upset if I paid so much money for a pure black chicken and got the white like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom