Baby Bantam Polish Doesn’t Know How To Eat. Need Advise.

Thank you all for your tips. She made it through the night and still seems healthy but is a little lethargic and doesn’t leave the heating area much, if ever. I still have never once seen her make any kind of a pecking motion. I’ve been checking frequently.
This morning I was trying to teach her to peck and giving her water. She got a little wetter than usual on the chest area and when my wife was blow drying her we noticed a large bulge on her chest- were thinking this is her crop and it looked quite full. It may all be water as she drank a lot right before the pics. Can you guys please give me your opinion on what I’m seeing and if it could all be water or if (wishful thinking) she may just be eating during the night or when I’m not watching.
Thanks

D5337B36-A2A2-4393-9CCD-73B36F427C90.jpeg
1C3A0CD1-83DC-41D1-AA5E-B36DDD8A8B5B.jpeg
E1BC30A2-626E-49DF-B982-3C76FEF31170.jpeg

None of my chicks have lumps like that. I think she might have something stuck in her crop, though I am not sure. Does she open her beak like that normally when she chirps?

@Chookchicken

The beak in the pictures is closed. It looks like an optical illusion because the feathers are wet and it looks like it’s open but if you zoom in you can see it more clearly.

This is our first batch of chicks so unfortunately I’m not familiar with how to treat this or the next step. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Ah yes I see what you mean, I was just wondering cause chicks do that when they are in pain. I have never seen this before in a chick so I am not an expert on this sorry.

Sometimes unfortunately chicks simply have a failure to thrive. In most cases there is just nothing you can do to save them. I’ve had one like that, named Estë. I knew she was unwell at the farm store and so I chose her thinking I could help, she passed four days later, but those were very happy days for her. I would try some nutridrench (you can buy it at pretty much any farm store) and some Save-a-chick electrolytes (they have them at most farm stores that sell baby chicks). Keeping her hydrated and getting nutrients into her will help keep her strong. I hope she will get better ❤ She is a very cute little one

after doing some research I think you’re chick may have a impacted crop all her symptoms seem to mach up. she may not make it you can try massaging the lump, though because it is so late it may be to late. sometimes nature needs to take its course.

Back
Top Bottom