Baby can’t walk!

Kcentritto

Chirping
Apr 1, 2019
Hello I have another thread going but wanted to see if anyone could help. Here’s video of what the problem is, but I’m not sure what I’m looking at or how to help.

It looks like your chick may have a slipped tendon in it’s hock joint. The skin over the joint may be red and swollen and can break down easily causing a blister. I have never treated a slipped tendon, but they are common in chicks and very difficult to treat successfully. Leg bone deformities, such as varus/valgus and twisted tibias are also common, and sometimes mistaken for a slipped tendon. Here is some reading:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html
http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

Here's something you can try for slipped tendon. Don't worry, it won't hurt the chick.

Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.

Here's something you can try for slipped tendon. Don't worry, it won't hurt the chick.

Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.
Tried this not sure if I did it right! I dangled her by her legs and she tucked upward towards her feet.

Did it seem to help?
She’s moving a little more but just flapping around can’t get up. Still fully reliant on me for food and water and I won’t be home until 2pm tomorrow. I’m hoping she makes it through the day I guess taking her to the vet is my only hope.

She should be okay as long as she has heat and can access food and water. If she doesn't have all three, she's not apt to survive for long.

Back
Top Bottom