1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Baby chick loneliness?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pkgal21, Feb 13, 2018.

1. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas
    My feed store is getting chicks on Sunday. Only one breed they'll have is one of the five I want. That following Wednesday the rest of the breeds I want will be in .

My question is, will one baby chick get too lonely if kept by itself for 3 days?

Second to that, will it be territorial? I don't think so, but I had an idea to separate half the brooder with cardboard. Then when the others come and I lift the cardboard out, it's like new territory. Idk if that's silly or not. Lol.

Plip likes this.
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Get two of the first breed (you can sell the extra later) to start, adding more a few days later is not problematic.

Plip and azygous like this.
  3. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member 6 Years

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Feed stores have a six chick minimum.
    If you ever find yourself with only one chick though, give it a lot of attention, a bird (like for a canary) mirror and stuffed animal to keep it company.

azygous likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The chick will be fine if you give it special attention. Propping a mirror up against the wall of the brooder will make it feel as if there is another chick there. A heating pad "cave" rigged so the pad touches the chick's back will comfort and warm the chick and make it feel as if it were under a broody hen. The pad should be set to the highest setting and should remain on all the time and not shut off after two hours like pads do these days. You don't need a heat lamp with a heating pad.

When you get the other chicks, just plop them right in with the first one. The early chick will then peck a few of the newcomers on the foreheads to establish that it was there first, and to "taste" the others. Then they will all proceed to behave as if they've been together since hatch.

pkgal21 and Plip like this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The minimum purchase is not universal.....it is generally a store/corporate, locality or state mstter.....in many places and stores there are no restrictions

pkgal21, Plip and azygous like this.
  6. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    I've bought fewer than six when I needed to fill in a couple of birds. But I think it depends on the feed store. I wouldn't even bother asking at the local Tractor Supply. And there's a somewhat regional store that would really depend who I was talking to (usually high school kids, and I wouldn't put them in that position). But there's two other local, independent feed stores that I frequent, and I would be shocked if they wouldn't sell you a chick or two, as long as they were confident it wasn't an Easter basket filler.

pkgal21 and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  7. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas
    Yeah, as I don't think my feed store has a minimum, but I'll double check.
    Awesome advice! Thank you!

Plip likes this.
  8. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Is your feed store getting them from Ideal?Why not order all of the breeds you want straight from the hatchery?

Plip likes this.
  9. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas
    To be honest, I'm not sure where they're getting them from. I just know some friends of mine get theirs from this particular store and love them. I'm really not super confident or comfortable getting them mailed .I'd rather just go get them from someone else who's dealing with that part .

KikisGirls, azygous and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  10. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Northeast CO
    Just to reaffirm what the others said, a chick will be fine by itself for three days. Much more than that and I'd start to worry, but as long as you make sure that you're around while its by itself then you should be fine. You could also see if your feed store would reserve a chick of your choice breed for a few days- do you think they'll sell out by Wednesday? Either way is fine, just be prepared to give the single baby some extra love. (Some people have already contributed some excellent ideas- stuffed animals and things like blankets they can cuddle with are popular too :) )

pkgal21 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: