Baby chick loneliness?

pkgal21

Songster
Jan 30, 2018
North Texas
My feed store is getting chicks on Sunday. Only one breed they'll have is one of the five I want. That following Wednesday the rest of the breeds I want will be in .

My question is, will one baby chick get too lonely if kept by itself for 3 days?

Second to that, will it be territorial? I don't think so, but I had an idea to separate half the brooder with cardboard. Then when the others come and I lift the cardboard out, it's like new territory. Idk if that's silly or not. Lol.

Feed stores have a six chick minimum.
If you ever find yourself with only one chick though, give it a lot of attention, a bird (like for a canary) mirror and stuffed animal to keep it company.

The chick will be fine if you give it special attention. Propping a mirror up against the wall of the brooder will make it feel as if there is another chick there. A heating pad "cave" rigged so the pad touches the chick's back will comfort and warm the chick and make it feel as if it were under a broody hen. The pad should be set to the highest setting and should remain on all the time and not shut off after two hours like pads do these days. You don't need a heat lamp with a heating pad.

When you get the other chicks, just plop them right in with the first one. The early chick will then peck a few of the newcomers on the foreheads to establish that it was there first, and to "taste" the others. Then they will all proceed to behave as if they've been together since hatch.

If you ever find yourself with only one chick though, give it a lot of attention, a bird (like for a canary) mirror and stuffed animal to keep it company.
The minimum purchase is not universal.....it is generally a store/corporate, locality or state mstter.....in many places and stores there are no restrictions

I've bought fewer than six when I needed to fill in a couple of birds. But I think it depends on the feed store. I wouldn't even bother asking at the local Tractor Supply. And there's a somewhat regional store that would really depend who I was talking to (usually high school kids, and I wouldn't put them in that position). But there's two other local, independent feed stores that I frequent, and I would be shocked if they wouldn't sell you a chick or two, as long as they were confident it wasn't an Easter basket filler.

Yeah, as I don't think my feed store has a minimum, but I'll double check.
The chick will be fine if you give it special attention. Propping a mirror up against the wall of the brooder will make it feel as if there is another chick there. A heating pad "cave" rigged so the pad touches the chick's back will comfort and warm the chick and make it feel as if it were under a broody hen. The pad should be set to the highest setting and should remain on all the time and not shut off after two hours like pads do these days. You don't need a heat lamp with a heating pad.

When you get the other chicks, just plop them right in with the first one. The early chick will then peck a few of the newcomers on the foreheads to establish that it was there first, and to "taste" the others. Then they will all proceed to behave as if they've been together since hatch.

Awesome advice! Thank you!

Is your feed store getting them from Ideal?Why not order all of the breeds you want straight from the hatchery?

Is your feed store getting them from Ideal?Why not order all of the breeds you want straight from the hatchery?

To be honest, I'm not sure where they're getting them from. I just know some friends of mine get theirs from this particular store and love them. I'm really not super confident or comfortable getting them mailed .I'd rather just go get them from someone else who's dealing with that part .

Just to reaffirm what the others said, a chick will be fine by itself for three days. Much more than that and I'd start to worry, but as long as you make sure that you're around while its by itself then you should be fine. You could also see if your feed store would reserve a chick of your choice breed for a few days- do you think they'll sell out by Wednesday? Either way is fine, just be prepared to give the single baby some extra love. (Some people have already contributed some excellent ideas- stuffed animals and things like blankets they can cuddle with are popular too :) )

Back
Top Bottom