Baby chick question

JonNhung

Hatching
Nov 17, 2019
Total amateur here. My gf in Vietnam hatched a baby chicken, and it was doing great, and always walking around normally, but now will only stay in (admittedly makeshift) brooder, and no longer walk around. Has no obvious deformities or injuries, and chirps robustly, but no longer wants to move, and she says he’s losing strength. I’m educating myself furiously, but believe best source of info is experts with experience, so I’m posting here for advice. Again, I know nothing, total newbie, but my gal is really emotionally invested in this baby chick making it.

Chicks need a flock- at least 2 chicks. A friend will help. Has the chick been eating and drinking, and what has it been eating? Hard boiled egg- smash up the yolk can help and is good nutritionally. A quick boost is warm sugar water- sometimes that can pick them up enough to start eating and drinking if they are weak. The chick should be eating a "starter" feed for chicks with around 18% protein and drinking plenty of clean water. Is there any blood in the poop? What does it have for a heat source? And how old is it?

Total amateur here. My gf in Vietnam hatched a baby chicken, and it was doing great, and always walking around normally, but now will only stay in (admittedly makeshift) brooder, and no longer walk around. Has no obvious deformities or injuries, and chirps robustly, but no longer wants to move, and she says he’s losing strength. I’m educating myself furiously, but believe best source of info is experts with experience, so I’m posting here for advice. Again, I know nothing, total newbie, but my gal is really emotionally invested in this baby chick making it.

A picture of the chick, its poop, its brooder/heat source would help a lot.

This site has a lot of good ready-to-go articles on baby chicks. I've posted one of them below, but this will give you the menu of baby-chick related topics, just click on the pictures or the titles:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/topics/chickens/babychicks/

Here's a good article on all the basic baby chick needs:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-complete-chick-care-guide/

I agree that chickens are flock animals. I have never tried to raise a single chick, but I would not be surprised that the decline in health may be due to failure to thrive on its own - assuming all the other essentials such as heat, food and water are adequate.

Also, living in northern Minnesota, I know that cold chicks chirp the loudest. With adequate heat, they settle down, sleep comfortably, and don't make much noise. Without a mother hen to care for the chick, it's all the more important that chicks have others to cuddle up with and keep warm. Hope the chick makes it as the first few days are always the most trying.

Back
Top Bottom