Baby Chicks ...mass casualties

Medicated is not for treatment it does not have enough. It will also not prevent it all the time as most think it will. Usually there's symptoms before they die so they have enough time for treatmemt unless they weren't tended to much and went un noticed

Medicated is not for treatment it does not have enough. It will also not prevent it all the time as most think it will. Usually there's symptoms before they die so they have enough time for treatmemt unless they weren't tended to much and went un noticed

Unfortunately, we saw no symptoms beforehand. They went from fine to dead.

Sadly, we are down to 3 chicks now.

I'm so very sorry! You must be devastated!
Your brooder looks immaculate, so it seems unlikely to be coccidiosis, but wouldn't harm to treat the remaining chicks with Corid to cover that base. I would also move the brooder to another room just in case there is something in the atmosphere in the kitchen that is causing the problem.

Are you sure about temps ? two weeks temperature should . be eighty to eighty five degrees or less .

Absolutely, sure. I check it morning and evening. Also monitor them throughout the day to see if they are huddling near or away from the lamp.

Might be over kill, but I put a second thermometer in the brooder on the far side from the lamp. Lol.

The chicks have been moving throughout the brooder the entire time.

I'm so very sorry! You must be devastated!
Your brooder looks immaculate, so it seems unlikely to be coccidiosis, but wouldn't harm to treat the remaining chicks with Corid to cover that base. I would also move the brooder to another room just in case there is something in the atmosphere in the kitchen that is causing the problem.

Thank you. My husband actually just transferred the remaining chicks so that we could clean the brooder they had been occupying. There is normally a bit more poop.

We weren't sure what was happening so figured to give them a clean environment in case there was something in the other one.

Is the area I'm looking at the entire area they had ? Are or were they able to get out of the heat of the heat lamp ?As far as the bulb, the Teflon gas would have had a near instant effect. Make sure your brooder has a shaded area for chicks to escape the direct heat of the bulb. I feel they got to hot :idunnomy guess

The tub we are using as a brooder is about 40"x21". The lamp was placed in one corner.

Here is a pic from a few days ago. We just moved them to the smaller box while we cleaned out the main one.

Attachments

• 20180311_175627.jpg
    20180311_175627.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@Wagnit09 When did you buy your chicks' feed and what is the mill date?
Does the feed smell sour, moldy, or rotten?
When chicks eat spoiled food they can get food poisoning, and this kills quickly.

@Wagnit09 When did you buy your chicks' feed and what is the mill date?
Does the feed smell sour, moldy, or rotten?
When chicks eat spoiled food they can get food poisoning, and this kills quickly.

Feed was bought on the 7th from the local feed store. Don't know the mill date as we discarded the bag once it was transferred to current container. But I'll be double checking that next purchase. Still smells/looks good.

I also toss the food at the bottom of the feeder regularly.

Btw, how quickly can bad food kill them?

Back
Top Bottom