Baby chicks staying small?

Hi everyone! I am Schnayke's GF. Sadly, on Feb 7th the smallest baby chicken died.

For the past 3 day the larger chick is acting strange. She is still undersized and should be laying eggs by now but isn't. I don't think she is egg bound but maybe??? I don't feel a egg lump. She is sitting down a lot - like, plopping down suddenly - and doesn't seem to want to walk far. She is also doing a little stretching. but that is pretty normal right? She also seems to be eating and drinking just fine. Her middle toe on each food is crooked too, could that cause problems?

I put her outside everyday in a run and keep her inside at night in the blue box you see in the vid. When I come to get her in the morning she is normally raring to go. I'll say "want to go out?" and she will hop on top of her water, or onto the edge of the box. As you can see from the video she is not hoping at all. She doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. Anyone know whats going on with her??

Another thing - the other chick acted like she has a leg injury right before she died. She was limping and I saw a small red spot (not swollen) on her leg. The larger chick seems to be acting injured too but I cannot find any wounds. Her outside run is very secure so no animals can get in there with her. I'm just very confused on what is wrong. Anyone see this type of behavior before? Not sure what to do!!! :c

Last edited:
I doubt she is egg bound, her comb and wattles are not developed yet. They will turn bright red and get much bigger when she comes into lay. It looks like she's sick. Chickens are very good at hiding their sicknesses because they don't want the rest of the flock to pick on them and sometimes the first signs we will notice is sitting a lot or leg weakness. I would post the video in the emergencies/diseases section if you haven't already, you will get better answers there. I'm sorry to hear about your other bird.

Just an update to this. The one that lived ended up getting bigger and started laying eggs, acts normal and is just a normal chicken, although still our smallest chicken.
Everything seems to be great for her now and there doesn't seem to be any lasting signs of what ever was going on with her as a chick.

Back
Top Bottom