Baby duck wont eat?????

Carrosaur

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Nashville, TN
I got two baby ducks two days ago, one 2 week old Pekin and a much younger Cayuga. Earlier the ducklings were jumping around tweeting, eating, but around 12:00pm both of the ducks stopped eating and have not eaten since. Is this normal for baby ducks? Are they just not hungry?

I got two baby ducks two days ago, one 2 week old Pekin and a much younger Cayuga. Earlier the ducklings were jumping around tweeting, eating, but around 12:00pm both of the ducks stopped eating and have not eaten since. Is this normal for baby ducks? Are they just not hungry?
welcome-byc.gif
can you tell us about your brooder set up, what you are feeding and what temps you have in the brooder?

And now that's it's morning how are they doing?

The brooder is a plastic tub lined with towels/wash clothes, they have water and food available to them. I used a Producer's Pride brooder lamp, right now the temp is around 87, we had it 90 when we got the ducks because of the baby, but we are worried its getting too hot for the 2 week old Pekin. We are feeding them the DuMOR chick starter/grower. The older Pekin was eating this morning and drinking, but the baby Cayuga was only drinking. If he/she did go near the food the older duck would peck him in the mouth. Is this because of the age difference? Should I separate them while they are eating, or entirely?

The brooder is a plastic tub lined with towels/wash clothes, they have water and food available to them. I used a Producer's Pride brooder lamp, right now the temp is around 87, we had it 90 when we got the ducks because of the baby, but we are worried its getting too hot for the 2 week old Pekin. We are feeding them the DuMOR chick starter/grower. The older Pekin was eating this morning and drinking, but the baby Cayuga was only drinking. If he/she did go near the food the older duck would peck him in the mouth. Is this because of the age difference? Should I separate them while they are eating, or entirely?
I'd have 2 feeding areas at either end so your youngest gets a chance to eat. Seems the Pekin maybe being a bit of a bully, do they do well together otherwise? be a shame to separate them completely they do so much better when no alone. I'd Raise the heat lamp up till your brooder is more like 83-84. I'd also get something like Poultry Nutri Drench or save a chick or some other kind of poultry vitamin and add to their water so littlest has some extra help getting going. be good for both and also since you feeding chick stater they will need an added supplement of niacin or brewers yeast sprinkled on their feed, chick starter just doesn't have the amount of niacin a duckling needs and they can develop leg and neurological problems. Not all do but some just seem to need more niaicn than other and because Pekins grow so fast they seem to have the worst problem with it. If you go for niacin be sure it's palin niacin at 100mgs per gallon of water, not time released or flush free. and Brewers yeast not baking yeast. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
I'd have 2 feeding areas at either end so your youngest gets a chance to eat. Seems the Pekin maybe being a bit of a bully, do they do well together otherwise? be a shame to separate them completely they do so much better when no alone. I'd Raise the heat lamp up till your brooder is more like 83-84. I'd also get something like Poultry Nutri Drench or save a chick or some other kind of poultry vitamin and add to their water so littlest has some extra help getting going. be good for both and also since you feeding chick stater they will need an added supplement of niacin or brewers yeast sprinkled on their feed, chick starter just doesn't have the amount of niacin a duckling needs and they can develop leg and neurological problems. Not all do but some just seem to need more niaicn than other and because Pekins grow so fast they seem to have the worst problem with it. If you go for niacin be sure it's palin niacin at 100mgs per gallon of water, not time released or flush free. and Brewers yeast not baking yeast. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
Away from food the two ducks do great together, they cuddle when its colder, the baby follows the Pekin around everywhere, they sleep next to each other. Will the Pekin's behavior continue? Or when they are both older will it even out the playing field. Will do on the vitamins.

Also, the Pekin at random times while drinking will sit back and shake his whole body for several seconds in almost a neurotic way. It's scary to watch because I'm not familiar with any animal doing this. Should I be worried? Or is that just a habit he/she will be with the rest of its life?

Away from food the two ducks do great together, they cuddle when its colder, the baby follows the Pekin around everywhere, they sleep next to each other. Will the Pekin's behavior continue? Or when they are both older will it even out the playing field. Will do on the vitamins.
I think when both are older the playing field will be even just now the littlest just can't exert very much will power yet which makes it rough because it needs to be able to eat to live and grow. This isn't anything unusual it happens when one is bigger. Keep us updated. I really think they will be fine the Cayuga just needs to grow and get stronger.

I think when both are older the playing field will be even just now the littlest just can't exert very much will power yet which makes it rough because it needs to be able to eat to live and grow. This isn't anything unusual it happens when one is bigger. Keep us updated. I really think they will be fine the Cayuga just needs to grow and get stronger.
Thank you so much. I will definitely update! Brewer's Yeast is going to be bought either tonight or in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom