Bad ads

There are bad ads that are not relevant to chicken stuff including supporting Ukraine and this I found a few days ago:
The computer algorithm uses data from the searches that one makes on their system.

For instance I just looked up Monty Python and now I am getting links and such geared towards Monty Python movies, and paraphernalia.

This is why one needs to be cautious with one does searches for 😳

I did a search for info on blue eggs and now my searches show me all sorts of chicken egg crap.

It's very complicated, but in general ads are often targeted based on a ton of variables including browsing history, the site you're on, the interests of other people visiting the site, etc. etc. etc.

We can't get enough direct chicken-related advertisers (like those listed in our Sponsors page) to keep BYC running for free, so we partner with companies like Google Ad Exchange, etc. to help fill-in.

We have filters in place for ads like the ones above, but sometimes they slip through.

I'll see what I can do to see if those specific ones can be filtered out.
Perhaps if you offered memberships that came with a box of apple fritters, more of us would jump to subscribe and then you could ditch Google Ad Exchange? j/s ☺️

🤔 I'm thinking about it.

It's often tricky (with thousands of advertisers and millions of ads) to find the ones that are sneaking through our filters... but there are some things you can do to help us identify / find the ads.

If anybody sees an add they are concerned about, please follow these steps:

First: right-click the ad URL and "copy URL" and then PM me with the link and possibly a screenshot.

... and if you really want to help us find/fix the ad:
  1. While on the page with the "bad ad"
  2. Go to your URL bar and add/append the text "#audit" to the end of the URL and press Enter (for example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bad-ads.1599430/#audit ) NOTE: you need to append the text on the page that currently has the ads to report!
  3. Click the "Report this ad" button on the overlay for the bad ad.
  4. Complete the form and click Report.
We will review the ad and take action.

1695665486168.png

Wow. I'm sorry....

Hm. Ads? What ads? (And is that obviously fake girl free to date?)

If you use a browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Opera, even Vilvaldi, you can add on extensions to block ads. This is what I do, so I really had no idea whatsoever that ads were appearing as part of this set up.

For Chrome and Chrome-based browsers (such as Opera, et al)., just going along to the stupid-named "Chrome store" and searching for "ad block" and "ad block plus", "uorigin", will get you out of a heap of upset for absolutely free.

My ads are for visiting Turkey, Saudia, Egypt and so on…
Let me recommend none of those. Especially to the Christians out there. However, Egypt does roll out a sarcastic red carpet to foreigners attracted to that land, as most people who live there can't see the attraction. They will welcome you with such lines as, "Ohhhh welcome to this country, Efendi!"

Yeah. I had a GF who was Egyptian and all that at one point.

Wow. I'm sorry....

Hm. Ads? What ads? (And is that obviously fake girl free to date?)

If you use a browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Opera, even Vilvaldi, you can add on extensions to block ads. This is what I do, so I really had no idea whatsoever that ads were appearing as part of this set up.

For Chrome and Chrome-based browsers (such as Opera, et al)., just going along to the stupid-named "Chrome store" and searching for "ad block" and "ad block plus", "uorigin", will get you out of a heap of upset for absolutely free.
@EuroChook
⬇️

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-happened-to-web-site.1593792/post-27085009
Regarding Ad Blockers: Please avoid using them on BYC. Ads are by far the primary way we keep the site free for millions of people. We disable a bunch of the ad placements for members to make their experience better. We also disable 100% of all ads for our Premium Feather Members (PFM). So, if you'd like to use BYC, please either do so with ads enabled, or purchase / win a PFM.

Read more here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/political-ads-on-byc-not-gonna-happen.1418322/post-23299361

and here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-feather-membership-pfm.1263458/post-20284743

The computer algorithm uses data from the searches that one makes on their system.

For instance I just looked up Monty Python and now I am getting links and such geared towards Monty Python movies, and paraphernalia.

This is why one needs to be cautious with one does searches for 😳

I did a search for info on blue eggs and now my searches show me all sorts of chicken egg crap.
This would explain why the only ads I'm seeing everywhere are either incubator ads or tires ads.

This would explain why the only ads I'm seeing everywhere are either incubator ads or tires ads.
I'd still like to know what I deserved to get the full-screen bra advertisement a couple of years ago for several days until I made Nifty get rid of it. I never knew when it would take over the screen while I was BYC-ing at work. lol

Back
Top Bottom