Bad news with dewormer

Pics
I know very little about worming to be honest, but I dont see worms in poop so I assume I'm doing okay.
Why would worms leave their host when they are sitting their feeding off nutrients meant for your birds? They are mating as well. They lay tens of thousands of eggs a day and the eggs are excreted in feces onto your soil. Chickens continually peck the soil, they pick the eggs up and are swallowed and are reinfected.
The only time you'll see a worm excreted is when it is old and dying OR there's no more room in the guts and it's excreted out the rear end. Worms cannot survive outside the host.

Just a tip for weighing.... My birds will sit on the scale until I move them. Except for one. For a hard to control bird, use a small towel and some clothespins/binder clips. I use a cloth diaper. Weigh the restraint supplies first,, and hit TARE. Pin their wings down, wrap them up snug, and secure with clips. Set chicken back on scale.
20200815_150406.jpg

I dont see a good way to give a worm medicine that cant be put in water though. Horse you inject into their mouth and dog you put in a good snack... how do you feed it to a chicken?

I've used Zimecterin Gold and Equimax equine pastes to treat tapeworms in chickens. Drontal/droncit is used to treat tapeworms in dogs, I've never used neither for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom