bad or half-baked chicken advice you've received?

Quote:
Would I feed my chickens mouldy food and food so old I wouldn't eat it myself? NO WAY!

I do
smile.png
if its raw meat that has turned, some of it will go to the dogs. Everythinh else goes to the birds. If I throw it in the compost, the birds eat it there. *shrug*

Quote:
Yeah, I used to worry about the quality of the leftovers I gave the chickens. But after I saw them jumping into the compost pile and chowing down, I just give them everything. (It's not like I give them pounds of moldy grain or anything, just sometimes the stuff in Tupperware gets a bit hairy.)

I got one a couple of days ago that made me just shake my head. You ready for this?

My bantam its not going to lay eggs. If a chicken hasn't started laying by 3 1/2 months (14 Weeks) then you should cull it and have dinner because it's never going to lay.

lau.gif

I did try telling that to my bantam and still no eggs... Guess she doesn't care about being dinner lol.

The guy helped his mom raise chickens, and she is the one that told him this.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I have acid soil that is low in calcium, the green things growing on it don't have as much calcium as those growing in calcium rich soil. I give supplemental oyster shell on the side. My chickens can take as much or as little as they want.

Again, it's a one size doesn't fit all situation.

Quote:
That right there is the biggest problem with the half-baked advice on this forum....chickens are ridiculously easy to keep. There isn't much complexity in keeping chickens at all, merely in wading through all the nonsense and finally realizing that anybody can raise a chicken successfully with relative ease if they just use common sense and listen to a few old timers, try it on for size and make adjustments as you go along. Just like any other enterprise involving animals, it's a learn as you go prospect....but the learning curve is so incredibly easy that a child can master it.

Yes, make adjustments to fit your particular circumstances.

Quote:
Would I feed my chickens mouldy food and food so old I wouldn't eat it myself? NO WAY!

I do
smile.png
if its raw meat that has turned, some of it will go to the dogs. Everythinh else goes to the birds. If I throw it in the compost, the birds eat it there. *shrug*

I do, too. Unless it's something that I think looks especially funky, it all goes to the birds. My chickens act like living garbage disposals.

Yep...some fermented foods are actually good for your chicken's digestion and nutrient absorption. Some people feed yogurt....which is nothing but cultured moldy dairy. I feed my chickens anything I clean out of the fridge and let them and the dogs fight it out....the dogs usually win on the meat/dairy/bread items and the chickens get the rest.

I'd like to add a half-baked advice:

By the time you can smell ammonia in your coop, your chickens lungs are already damaged from it.

Quote:
That's quite funny - but entirely possible, really.

I once had to argue long and hard with a transplanted New Yorker who thought that live Perherons would make ideally "authentic" lawn decorations for her weekender farm house.

Good grief.

That is funny and at forums I have read posts by folks that buy something they read about in the first couple posts of a topic that "every chicken owner must have" only to get home to find other posts saying Noooooooooooo.........

There is nothing wrong with conflicting info as long as one waits for it to sort itself out in a thread and it is best not to over think our chickens sometimes.
wink.png

Well, I'm cynical. I'd've persuaded her what she really needed was a pair Clydesdale mules.

Quote:
That's quite funny - but entirely possible, really.

I once had to argue long and hard with a transplanted New Yorker who thought that live Perherons would make ideally "authentic" lawn decorations for her weekender farm house.

Good grief.

Snort. If it gets nice and muddy where you live, encourage her to get some Clydesdale mules. That should keep her too busy to have time to be offended about the antics of the "ignorant" country folks.
wink.png

Ever heard the song "Forty Acres and a Fool?" At our Nevada property one of the neighbors has had repeated problems with a transplanted urban type whose equine experience consisted of show rings and riding stables. She calls in animal control about manure in the corral, and the fact that the horses have a run in shed instead of a nice, heated stable. She knows for a fact that the shed needs to be divided into stalls, enclosed on four sides instead of three, and heated because the poor broomtails run around outside in the corral snorting in the morning because they obviously are just as cold inside as outside! Interestingly enough, the ponies are out and running every morning about fifteen minutes before feeding time before lining up at the trough.

Back
Top Bottom