Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hi,
I am going to a show in 2 weeks and I am using one of Barevelders for showmanship and another for Conformation. I was wondering if either were show quality. Even though I will be showing them either way. Thanks for any input. :)

Thanks.

This is Milly:

This is Alice:

Milly looks like she'd be better for showing than Alice. She has better lacing and color:) For showmanship pick the one that you can handle the best:) Good luck!
Trisha

Thanks tls and Chooks!

Ya'll......I'm a goob....I've been laughing so hard at myself that my tears ran down my leg when I finally realized the other day that my Stoo should really have saddle feathers and a larger red comb and wattles by now if SHE was really a HE!!!!!!
lau.gif
I thought she was just taking after the ever slow to mature Barnie side of her blood.

Atleast it only took me about 4+ months this time......couple years ago I had an 8 month old Ameraucana that I thought was a pullet until a very nice person from BYC gently pointed out to me that my little Twizzler had saddle feathers.
gig.gif

Anywhoooozer, Stoo is looking great and I noticed that she has some slight double lacing going on, messy, but it is there. Now to finish the wait for her to mature and start laying and put her back in with my Uggzie boy to make the next gen. Blue Laced project birdies.

Thanks tls and Chooks!

Ya'll......I'm a goob....I've been laughing so hard at myself that my tears ran down my leg when I finally realized the other day that my Stoo should really have saddle feathers and a larger red comb and wattles by now if SHE was really a HE!!!!!!
lau.gif
I thought she was just taking after the ever slow to mature Barnie side of her blood.

Atleast it only took me about 4+ months this time......couple years ago I had an 8 month old Ameraucana that I thought was a pullet until a very nice person from BYC gently pointed out to me that my little Twizzler had saddle feathers.
gig.gif

Anywhoooozer, Stoo is looking great and I noticed that she has some slight double lacing going on, messy, but it is there. Now to finish the wait for her to mature and start laying and put her back in with my Uggzie boy to make the next gen. Blue Laced project birdies.

LOL, sometimes they can fool us:) My splash cockerel....isn't a cockerel either! She's turning out to be a nice BIG pullet. She's so friendly and begs to be picked up all the time. Her lacing is a tad messy when compared to the other chicks in her hatch, but of course she's very young so lacing should improve as she gets her big girl feathers. She also doesn't have as high of % of barnevelder blood as the others because she was the result of a cross between two of my blue project birds. Her hatch mates have better lacing and higher % of barnevelder blood. But it's very exciting to see the "white, red, white" double lacing starting to develop:)

Trisha

You guys are funny! Why can't I ever get the cockerels that turn into pullets? Seems like mine turn into cockerels.
hmm.png

I'm going to be hatching a bunch of barnevelders and welsummers. Some of the barnevelders are mine (from Trisha's stock) and some are coming from Kim.
woot.gif
More babies!

When do you plan on hatching. We' ve had such a warm winter. I couldn't stand it and put some in on2/23. I'm so excited for spring to come and hear everyones stories about their chicks.

I just hatched a month ago, but my barnevelders and welsummers weren't laying. Our winter has been........well.............nonexistent. My girls are all back up and laying and I have a bunch of welsummers egg orders, so thought I should double check fertility first. And I need more barnevelder hens.

I'll be setting Tues or Wed, so they'll hatch the week of the 19th.

Someone PMed me and said they heard Johan had been in the hospital. Sorry if this is "old news". I emailed him several weeks ago and he said he and his chickens were resting through the winter and would be selling late March. Hope he is ok.

I hope Johan is okay and I am sending out prayers for him and his family. I will send out and email to him too as he and I usually talk around this time of year. What a very sweet man and his stories are the greatest!
He does let his birds rest over the winter and then he resumes hatching and shipping eggs in the spring. He likes to let nature take its course with his biddies and does not push them.
I can't tell you how much I love the birds that I have from him. Their personalities are the best! My roo, Uggzie boy, thinks I am his girl....he drops his wing, stomps his feet and does the dance around my feet when I go near him or his coop. I laugh my self silly (of course it is a very short trip to silly for me, LOL)when he picks up treats off the ground, drops them, then chuckles and clucks to me to get them. The girls are also very mild mannered and never in any hurry for anything....'cept treats.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom