Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

hi, this is my second year having Barnevelders, I have a question, last year they had been laying a couple months before it got cold and they just stopped laying and didn't lay all winter and this year they have already stopped laying for about a month. is this normal I thought they layed good during the winter. that is what I had read.

thanks,
Elizabeth

hi, this is my second year having Barnevelders, I have a question, last year they had been laying a couple months before it got cold and they just stopped laying and didn't lay all winter and this year they have already stopped laying for about a month. is this normal I thought they layed good during the winter. that is what I had read.

thanks,
Elizabeth

Mine don't lay for a couple of months this time of year, but I don't use lights either. The ones who just started to lay will probably continue for a while. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in?

I haven't posted many pictures on here lately. So I'd thought I would share these. Here is my top pick cockerel so far for breeding in the spring.
Nice looking Cockerel Trisha.

How many boys do you keep over winter?

I have four Johans, one of my line I am working on and three silvers. I will probably just keep my roo from last year and best cockerel past January. The youngsters are not up to weight yet so I will give them another month or two to develop.

Almost time to fire up the incubator.

Andy

I have been looking for some eggs to hatch, but I know it is not a good season to buy it, but if any of you have some fertilized eggs for sale I would love to buy it, I did checked sale section of this forum by the way.

Nice looking Cockerel Trisha. 

How many boys do you keep over winter?

I have four Johans, one of my line I am working on and three silvers.  I will probably just keep my roo from last year and best cockerel past January.  The youngsters are not up to weight yet so I will give them another month or two to develop.  

Almost time to fire up the incubator.

Andy 

Hi Andy, thanks:) I'm keeping around 7 cockerels ( one blue) so far. I haven't made up my mind yet about all of them. I'm also keeping my best male from last year.

My male from last year and one cockerel ( nearly identical to his father) both have really good heads, combs, very well spread tails and good body capacity/ production type traits. I hope to use them mainly to work on tails. The cockerel is 7-1/2 pounds at around 7-1/2 months. The father was a little over 8 pounds last year.

I have one cockerel that is showing really good pattern ( the underside of the saddle and hackle feathers) and also has black edging/ fine lacing on the secondaries. He might produce good pullets. But he does not have the more modern type, back sweep. He most likely is a son of my original barnie hen ( C. Ledford line) and by my best male from last year based on his looks, type and hatch date. He might just out produce himself.

I have 3 cockerels, I'm not sure about. Each one has " something special" that caught my eye, but I'm on the fence about them. My favorite cockerel is better than them. I'm holding on to the rest
Just in case as back ups for now.

Trisha

Two of my " back up" cockerels. Both are still young and have some growing to do. Color is a bit off on the bottom picture and it makes the legs look faded. In the top picture you can see that both cockerels have good yellow legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom