Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Tonight is the last night my Barnevelders are going to be with me I really hope they do well for their new owner as I've kept them through moult
1f62d.png

Two of my " back up" cockerels. Both are still young and have some growing to do. Color is a bit off on the bottom picture and it makes the legs look faded. In the top picture you can see that both cockerels have good yellow legs.

nice back ups Trisha!
I like the strength on the top fella, carried right the way through his legs, and his tidy finishing blade, and nicely held wings on both of them.
would be really interesting to see how these 2 boys would breed side by side, and how their female progeny look, since they are subtly different in markings

... Two of my " back up" cockerels. Both are still young and have some growing to do. Color is a bit off on the bottom picture and it makes the legs look faded. In the top picture you can see that both cockerels have good yellow legs.
nice back ups Trisha! I like the strength on the top fella, carried right the way through his legs, and his tidy finishing blade, and nicely held wings on both of them. would be really interesting to see how these 2 boys would breed side by side, and how their female progeny look, since they are subtly different in markings
Hi Chris, thanks:) I think the top cockerel will have better marked offspring. His saddle feathers have better pattern on the underneath. The bottom cockerel is not so clearly marked, but has a nice backline / tail set. He also has pretty good wing set. I'm keeping him mainly for type. Trisha

cheers Trisha.

although really hard to see from just 2 pics, but I rather the top fellas type too, he seems to be well balanced also, but that's just me, -I don't really gravitate to the silhouettes of the modern EU type - particularly German, but rather the outline of the old Van Gink portrait.
one thing that I do notice in that pic of the top fella - he has a good strong head, but is it tending to be a little coarse?

Hello all.
It's been nearly one hundred pages of chatter in this group since I introduced myself, but I haven't been online or active in poultry in almost as long.

I've just started up again with chooks and have been lucky to find some Barnevelder breeders to buy fertile eggs from.
They are shipped eggs from the other side of my country, so there is obviously some risk of losing a percentage of them along the way.
Out of 3 dozen, I had 9 make it to lockdown. A good half of them had been smashed or scrambled by the post office handling along the way, despite the wonderful packing job by the breeder.

I unfortunately only had one hatch from the 9 eggs that went into lockdown, resulting in The. Most. Expensive. Chick ever!!
(You can read my story in my journey thread that is linked in my signature for details)

I've been reading all the posts and info in this thread about eb and e+ chicks, looking at the photo's of chicks discussed, but I can't quite guess at what I have hatched. I'm leaning more towards maybe e+, but hoping I'm incorrect.
It started out quite a darker chick but as days go on, I could swear it gets lighter every day. I can almost imagine the little thing in at the chicken salon every night getting bleached LOL

I would really appreciate if you could give me your thoughts on this little survivor.
All the photo's are of him/her (I generally call it a him atm) over the last 5 days.
I've included some above shots of the head and back markings also.

If the photo's of the parent lines were accurate, I think I've chosen from a good looking line so hopefully there will be some decent chicks hatch from the next lot of eggs.

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions on my little chick.
Thanking you.

I shall keep reading and catching up on the thread. Some interesting discussions in here :)

Freeranging hen, your chicks are color base e-allele eb, when they have that dark blotch on their back of head neck area means eb. The e+ are like the chipmunk chicks ie brown leghorn, welsummers. They have the sharp defined cap on head and eye liners. The down color varies in both.

Thankyou Piet.
I just wasn't sure if the head mark was counted as a 'helmet' because it didn't look as extensive as those pictures and discussed through this thread.... and the eyeliner and lighter colour really had me worried.

Hopefully I hatch some more Eb based chicks out of the next lot, so I can have something workable to start my new line with.

Back
Top Bottom