Clucky-Cathy

In the Brooder
May 9, 2019
New Zealand
Needing some advice on chicken bullying... A couple of months ago we got 4 barred rock pullets and have recently added 2 orpingtons to our small flock. We introduced the orpingtons slowly and kept them separate from the rocks for a while. Now they are all in the same coop/run together (the run is approximately 15x4m) and the orpingtons are getting picked on. It's been almost 2 weeks and they still can't get near the rocks without being chased. We expected some tension but I had hoped it would subside quickly. There doesn't seem to be much pecking, more chasing. Is this normal? Will it get better with time? At what point do we step in? We're new to backyard chickens and I'm feeling quite sorry for the orpingtons!! It's hard to watch them get picked on we've even considered selling 2 of the barred rocks. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join. I'm pretty much going through the same thing. I have 1 year old RIR hens and I'm trying to introduce my 3 BR chicks / pullets to them. I built a "getting to know you" suite inside the coop. The 3 little ones have been in there for 3 weeks now. Last week I put them all together and I had to intervene when the hens started to get quite vicious. Now I let the little ones out of their pen during the "dinner" feeding. They hang out in the coop and look out the window, but won't go anywhere near the hens. The hens are keeping their distance too. My advice to you would be to separate them - look but not touch. Give them short introductory sessions and gradually let them mingle. Hopefully this won't take all summer. Good luck with your flock.

:welcome Established birds in a flock pick on new birds. The social (pecking) order of chickens can seem cruel. As long as the new birds are getting enough to eat and drink and blood is not being drawn, allow them to work things out.

Thanks for the advice :highfive: They have good days and bad days together but the barred rocks have never done anything super nasty so I suppose we just have to toughen up and let them sort it out!! Hopefully it smooths out soon!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join. I'm pretty much going through the same thing. I have 1 year old RIR hens and I'm trying to introduce my 3 BR chicks / pullets to them. I built a "getting to know you" suite inside the coop. The 3 little ones have been in there for 3 weeks now. Last week I put them all together and I had to intervene when the hens started to get quite vicious. Now I let the little ones out of their pen during the "dinner" feeding. They hang out in the coop and look out the window, but won't go anywhere near the hens. The hens are keeping their distance too. My advice to you would be to separate them - look but not touch. Give them short introductory sessions and gradually let them mingle. Hopefully this won't take all summer. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks, good luck with yours too! :jumpy I also hope it doesn't take too long before they're all tolerating each other. I don't like watching the orpingtons get bullied, or the barred rocks be bullies!!

My Barred Rock was a bully when I was introducing my Speckled Sussex. It took them about a month for the chasing to stop. The Sussex is still the bottom chicken in the pecking order but there's no more outright bullying.

Yeah we heard BR are known for being bullies (only after we got the orpingtons). Is this true? From everyone's advice it seems like we just have to wait it out. Good to know yours settled down after a month! :thumbsup

Needing some advice on chicken bullying... A couple of months ago we got 4 barred rock pullets and have recently added 2 orpingtons to our small flock. We introduced the orpingtons slowly and kept them separate from the rocks for a while. Now they are all in the same coop/run together (the run is approximately 15x4m) and the orpingtons are getting picked on. It's been almost 2 weeks and they still can't get near the rocks without being chased. We expected some tension but I had hoped it would subside quickly. There doesn't seem to be much pecking, more chasing. Is this normal? Will it get better with time? At what point do we step in? We're new to backyard chickens and I'm feeling quite sorry for the orpingtons!! It's hard to watch them get picked on we've even considered selling 2 of the barred rocks. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice!
I’ve heard barred rocks can be that way and Orpington‘s can be really docile. Hopefully the area they have is large enough for them all and at least that way the Orpington’s can get away from them.

The standard way I’ve read about to introduce new birds to an established flock is to put a fence of some kind between them. See but don’t touch. After a couple of weeks you can remove the barrier and see how they do. If the newbies are significantly smaller than the old girls, you may want to (at some point) make a door through the fence too small for the bigs to pass through. That’s the means for the littles to mingle as they feel ready and also the escape route in case it’s not working out.

Ultimately it’s up to your Orps to stand up for themselves. You can’t do it for them. I have the same problem with my cows. There are three and the white one is my favorite. The smallest one bullies her all the time. If I’m there I’ll run her off, but Eden is bigger... she could stand up to the little poophead (Cait). I can’t make her do it. Even cows have a pecking order.

If the old girls keep pecking at the new ones and it troubles you too much to enjoy them, you could always remove one group or the other. I’ve heard that barred rocks can be a bit aggressive and my Orps are sweet and docile. Or you can just let them get it sorted. It may take some time.

My Barred Rocks have quite dominant personalities. If you have an all hen flock, as I do, you need these birds as they take on the rooster's role of protecting & managing the flock. They will settle down, especially as your new birds come onto the lay. Laying confers a certain status within my flock I've noticed. The pecking order, by it's very nature, means there are high status birds & low ones & the birds need to sort this out for themselves. What you do need to watch for is that no~one is being forced off the food & water. Set up multiple stations if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom