Battery hens

Marie2020

Addict
May 12, 2020
I've had these little 18 months hens since Saturday . My one hen laid a soft egg two day ago and hasn't laid since.

She now has a white froth poop. Can anyone guide me please

I will photograph tomorrow. Before their bedtime I didn't see any white froth only a runny brown poop, but not diarrhoea

I have given them melon steamed carrots and lettuce today. I'm trying too cut out the mash so put only pellets in for the morning.

The poo didn't look bad at all tonight I hope she's clearing out. She loves carrot melon and the banana & melon they all love.
i really hope I'm doing the right?

I've been really flying myself trying too make them as comfortable as possible, while separately dealing with my other little ladies whose beaks have really been put out because of maintaining the distance they can't hang out near my kitchen.

@Wyorp Rock
My apologies for not coming back with this reply earlier

I have given them melon steamed carrots and lettuce today. I'm trying too cut out the mash so put only pellets in for the morning.
Try to cut out mash? Laying mash?
They really should be eating layer feed for the majority of their diet if they are cooped/in a run.
Mine love all those goodies too, but too much can dilute the nutrition they are getting daily, especially the protein % and eventually this can cause some difficulties.

Try to cut out mash? Laying mash?
They really should be eating layer feed for the majority of their diet if they are cooped/in a run.
Mine love all those goodies too, but too much can dilute the nutrition they are getting daily, especially the protein % and eventually this can cause some difficulties.
I didn't put any mash in this morning, they are out on the grass.

This mornings menu was layers banana, yogurt and a little strawberry mixed in.

No white froth that's a huge relief :)

I didn't put any mash in this morning, they are out on the grass.

This mornings menu was layers banana, yogurt and a little strawberry mixed in.

No white froth that's a huge relief :)
I'm thinking there might be a problem with the absorption of the food. I've added slippery elm into their layer in hopes of rectifying this

The poop is on the stick. She laid an egg this morning

20210926_131713.jpg

There was a break out this morning the little ones decided too take over. I quickly got two girls out of the way but princes managed too stay out. So as she's the most timid I remained keeping a close watch.

She decided too tell them off after 10 minutes but backed off when they didn't retaliate

20210926_135734.jpg

20210926_135811.jpg

Last edited:
I know they have access to dirt, but do you also provide poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice?

There's a lot of grass in the poop - I do agree it's not quite normal. Digestive/crop/gizzard issue possibly.

Let me know how the slippery elm works.

Back
Top Bottom