BBS Cochin adopt an egg hatch-a-long

Pics

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I got 20 BBS Cochin eggs shipped. They came today and are resting. I will put 10 under each broody.

I candled and they seem porous. A few look to have detached air cells. I am letting them rest fat side up but a few are round so I can't tell what is the fat side. I will try to check them again before I put them under my broodys.

I labeled them S1-S20. If anyone would like to adopt one let me know. I will get pics of them numbered too.

Ok so my puppy was mad at us so took the egg carton with S19 and S20 off my stove and ate them!!!!!!! so now only have S1-18.

I am adding in an A1 which is a buff Cochin hen x Blue Cochin roo.

And H1 which is an EE Hen x Blue Cochin roo.

He has a very fluffy butt so had some fertility issues. I did trim him about 6 weeks ago but haven't since so no guarantees those are fertilized.

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_120418656.jpg
    IMG_20220527_120418656.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Well I had to go out and swapped Nugget to the right nest and it is cloudy out so figured I would candle. It was about 2 hrs before day 4 starts.

Some were a bit dark but no veins, some looked completely clear still... But I saw nothing in the shipped eggs to make me think they are doing anything.

Only one I saw growth for today was H1.. hopefully the others do something but feeling a bit down. I know shipped eggs are a gamble but they were packed well so I thought maybe I would get at least 6...

At least the hen sitting on S12 isn't a part timer. 😊
LOL They both go back to the wrong box sometimes. don't ask me HOW. I have 3 boxes. Theirs have 10 eggs each in them... the other box does have 2 fake eggs (I tried to take the fake egg out of the boxes a while ago and they all freaked out and acted like they had no clue what to do so I put them back in).

And I will say Nugget only goes out every other day. I think maybe once or twice in the past 10 days she has gone out 2 in a row, and think both of those were when I had to move her for something so she runs out of the coop screaming her head off.... other than that it is every other day. Fajita goes out sometimes 2 in a row others every other.

I know many say to move them and lock them up but the ONE time I tried to block Ditzy off when she was broody she FREAKED out and at that time all I did was block off the coop door and she was a mess with yelling etc. it isn't worth it for me to stress them out so I just let them stay where they are and check my cameras and if I need to I move them back or get other eggs out from under them. Thankfully I only work part time so by the time they go out and I get home is normally about 1.5 hrs-2 hrs which happened with Ditzy too and hers developed and it was MUCH colder when she was brooding than it is now.

Are there any other colors of Cochin’s you would be ok with? Meyer has Partridge and White. I must say I’m impressed with their packaging and fertility was good.
I wouldn't mind those colors but I just LOVE the splash and only have room for 2 more chickens in my coop which is why I am trying so hard for those. I do have Itzy and Ditzy that are both Blue Cochins so can give me splash. It is just getting Ditzy's eggs to be fertilized and go to hatch. I know Itzy can do it still since Hummers egg is growing. He has been mating Ditzy quite often the past week or so. and her last egg she laid the day she went broody made it to day 10 last time before it quit so I now she can be fertilized just not sure if I have to trim butt feathers again for it to happen again or if they are still good. Only way to find out is to try.

If the ones I try on Sunday don't do anything then I will trim and wait and just use the incubator again and raise them in the coop brooder if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom