Miriah132

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
Hi y’all! So I’ve been reading, researching, and raising chickens for the passed 3 years. Now I am looking to get more in depth and start breeding some of the harder to find breeds in this area. The three breeds I have decided on are black copper Marans, BBS Marans, Cream Legbars, and Svart Honas. To get started off with at least ;) I’m needing any and all advice about breeding selectively, breeding pens and coops, how you like to rotate your flocks, anything and everything would be much appreciated!

I always tell people "beginners or veterans"

1. Study the breed standard. So you know what defects to look for. Undesirable traits can take years to breed out.

2. Do your homework and find a seasoned breeder to buy from. Go to shows and meet the people who are passionate about your chosen breed. Most are more than willing to share their knowledge with you.

3. Buy the best birds you can afford. Buying cheep birds or the first ones you come across rarely turns out well.

4. Join the breed club of you chosen breed. This will put you in direct contact with other breeders. Knowledgeable people for advice and/or breeding stock.

5. Solid, Solid, Solid, cooping is key. Loosing birds to a predator is bad enough. But loosing you best breeders or that $50 rooster you just bought is really fun. And some how a predator knows to take that rooster you desperately needed. And passes up the 5 year old hen that has quit laying who was roosting right beside him.

Well, you've come to the right place!
Tell us a bit about your current set up. Do you already have your starter stock?

Currently I just have my flock in a 10x10 shed and a 10x10 run and allow free range time During the day. I finally found a breeder I can buy from but haven’t yet as I wanted to get a little more advice before committing to it. I have about 8 acres of land so I have plenty of space!

1. Study the breed standard. So you know what defects to look for. Undesirable traits can take years to breed out.

2. Do your homework and find a seasoned breeder to buy from. Go to shows and meet the people who are passionate about your chosen breed. Most are more than willing to share their knowledge with you.

3. Buy the best birds you can afford. Buying cheep birds or the first ones you come across rarely turns out well.

4. Join the breed club of you chosen breed. This will put you in direct contact with other breeders. Knowledgeable people for advice and/or breeding stock.

5. Solid, Solid, Solid, cooping is key. Loosing birds to a predator is bad enough. But loosing you best breeders or that $50 rooster you just bought is really fun. And some how a predator knows to take that rooster you desperately needed. And passes up the 5 year old hen that has quit laying who was roosting right beside him.

Thank you! Very good advice. I’ve already looked up some of the closer shows I will be able to make but they aren’t till September. I’ve also tried to read up on the SOP of each breed and have found some great resources! Do you have any examples of good breeder coops you have found that work?

Definitely agree. Also, don't start with too many breeds. Honestly, starting with ONE variety of ONE breed and working with it until you have figured out what you're doing is a good way to avoid disaster.

Thank you! Very good advice. I’ve already looked up some of the closer shows I will be able to make but they aren’t till September. I’ve also tried to read up on the SOP of each breed and have found some great resources! Do you have any examples of good breeder coops you have found that work?

I've been fortunate enough to have a large barn on my property from the start "30x50". And I built my breeder pens inside. Then I build smaller buildings with large pens outside for grow out pens "8x8 coop and 50x50 pen". My breeder pens are 5x10 inside the barn with an average of 1R & 4H per pen.

If I were starting from scratch with breeder coops I would build a long, divided building with runs out the front of it.

Definitely agree. Also, don't start with too many breeds. Honestly, starting with ONE variety of ONE breed and working with it until you have figured out what you're doing is a good way to avoid disaster.

Thank you, I will take that into consideration! I might have to just settle for breeding one and just enjoying the others as part of my regular flock!

Back
Top Bottom