Best Automatic Chicken door

Annette16

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
I have looked on here at what they have in the reviews, but I want opinions from you guys that have automatic chicken doors. What is a good automatic chicken door to purchase ? What’s your pros and cons ? I am looking to buy two and I need some help. I have read so much about them, it is just confusing. Thanks !

The best chicken door will open sometime between dawn and sunrise and not close until dusk. If there is method to set a delay time for closing after sunset that is best. I built my own door just because I can. I also like a door that does not have a downward force that can kill a stubborn chicken but also has a positive lock once down. I tried using a light sensor on my door but it was difficult to set it just right due to various cloud conditions messing with the light levels near sunset.

JT

I actually have the ADOR1 door. I had it installed by my coop builder and the chicks have been in the coop/run for a week now. The door opens/closed with a light sensor and also has the ability to open earlier/close later based on program mode. It also has a "last" call feature to open up briefly to let stragglers in.

I've been very pleased so far this week. The door opens before sunrise, just as it's getting light out (around 5:30ish here in Northern Central TN) and this morning it opened at 5:24. At night, its been closing around 8 pm, well after all the chicks are in the coop.

I originally wanted a door on a timer or a combination of photo sensor/timer but went with the ADOR1 due to the sprocket drive (not a string or line to snap).
Medda

I'm using the Chickenguard automatic door. The reason I chose it was I didn't have a lot of space in front of the coop for a door to swing open, and I liked that it had different motor options (cheaper and more costly). I ended up going with the basic model, the "standard" opener, as I do not want the door to open and close with light, but instead by timer. And to deal with cold weather I chose to install the opener inside the coop, so there will never be an issue with rain or snow.

It was fairly easy to install - I had my coop builder cut the hole but I installed the motor - and set up was easy. So far it's been working without an issue.

I picked one from here

Chickens, by nature, go to roost before dark. Once they get used to the house, they just come in on their own. I simply set the timer up to close right at dark. I know this time will have to be adjusted throughout the year, but I felt more confident in using the timer than the automatic light sensor.

What happens to the door if a really bad thunderstorm rolls in and turns the sky black? I assume it would close in the middle of the day and the chickens would probably not be inside when it did. That's why I chose the timer.

The one from Fleming outdoors is the one I have also. I love the advanced, as you never have to change anything, it compensates for light time changes by your coordinates. I had a few problems with mine in the beginning & the company was wonderful. It was very new when I got it 3 years ago & they have worked out the bugs. Plus for me is that it is made in PA!

We bought the advanced model door from Fleming Outdoor. It's the only one I have experience with but the features I needed were being able to mount indoors on a flat surface and be both battery and 120v powered. so far so good. The most entertaining part of these doors is watching the birds line up waiting for the door to open. When it opens it's like the New York subway rush.

I'm using the Chickenguard automatic door. The reason I chose it was I didn't have a lot of space in front of the coop for a door to swing open, and I liked that it had different motor options (cheaper and more costly). I ended up going with the basic model, the "standard" opener, as I do not want the door to open and close with light, but instead by timer. And to deal with cold weather I chose to install the opener inside the coop, so there will never be an issue with rain or snow.

It was fairly easy to install - I had my coop builder cut the hole but I installed the motor - and set up was easy. So far it's been working without an issue.
I have been looking at those as well. Gosh it is so confusing. I guess I just worry about it being dependable, even thou I will check behind it you still worry.

I have been looking at those as well. Gosh it is so confusing. I guess I just worry about it being dependable, even thou I will check behind it you still worry.

Oh I get that. I looked at 3 or 4 different models for weeks, reading reviews on here and Amazon, but in the end it came down to picking the one that I thought best suited my needs - no light sensor, battery powered, straight up and down motion.

I did think the Pullet Shut door sounded good as well, but the outward swing wasn't ideal for my set up.

Back
Top Bottom