Best candler for dark eggs

Clay - I candled using a led maglite and although I couldn't see much of anything but the air cells - by the last week I could tell which had developing chicks as they were even darker.

I purchased an old slide projector that, thank goodness, came with 4 extra lamps. The lamps are 300 watt bulbs...very bright. Hubby built a stand so when I candle the tube at the end of projector is pointed upwards towards the ceiling. I recently candled 20 dark Cuckoo Maran eggs...was able to see them really well for as dark as the eggs are. I can either just sit the egg inside the projector end or what I did was make a cushion out of foam to slip inside the projector end to sit the egg upon. Beats the heck out of anything I have tried before. Just MHO

Hi Clay,

I have never had fresh eggs explode in 21 days. I dont think you have to worry.
smile.png

I use a slide projector as well, but just use mine in the original horizontal position. I fitted a piece of black foam pipe insulation to the front of the lens to cushion the egg and block stray light. Works great, intense light and no heat.
db

Projector works great. Dark eggs are not as clear as the one shown here, but you can see well enough to make a call. I just got Cuckoo Marans so I will be facing that challenge in a few days.

Day5Egg.jpg

Quote:
I think you be able to accurately candle the Cuckoo Marans without a problem. What day do you usually candle on? I usually wait until 10-14...I have tried earlier but it seems if I wait that I am much more accurate in the results.

Back
Top Bottom