Best place to order silkie chicks?

MagsC

Queen Of Clueless
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
I have had fairly decent hatching success most of the time with other breeds and once in a while get a silkie here and there but havent had the best of luck.
So I decided to look for a place to order them.
Before I start, any suggestions are very welcome.

I just did a search on My Pet Chicken for 8 assorted silkies. Just thinking, but that might be the way I will go.

wish i knew,,, I got some from a local breeder but now question if they are purebred or not
sad.png
time will tell...

I got my little ragamuffins from MyPetChicken. I specifically wanted pet quality so they wouldn't have the big poofy hairdo, obscuring their vision. And, I wanted only girls as I have no plan to breed them. I just wanted them for broodies and as a conversation piece. They have worked out wonderfully for me except I still suspect the Divine Miss M may be a boy. I should haul them up to the house for pics today. Here they are yesterday trying to figure out where the pop door to their new coop is. For the record, it is 3 inches to their right!

34566_sun-17.jpg

Where to order silkies? I'm not listening lalalalala!

I will not order silkies! I will not order silkies! I will not order silkies!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
tongue.png
(I know Ideal has silkies)

It totally depends on what you want them for. If you just want them as pets or egg layers and do not care so much on quality, I would have no problem ordering them from Ideal or any other hatchery.

If you want them to really resemble the breed or you want them to show, I would suggest looking for a private breeder here or do some research to see who the decent breeders are. I just got some BEAUTIES from Bobbi Porto (indigoegg.us) and am thrilled with them and their quality.

The ones that thewarden posted are probably the best hatchery quality silkies that I have seen. Normally, they don't look much like silkies, IME.

Well, I was just planning on having them as pets and egg layers? I also didnt want to order a big number. I think what I am going to do is give MPC a try and also order some more silkie eggs for one last shot at incubating. I do have a silkie and a silkie cross I hatched so far this year. They are the sweetest chicks. And addictive apparently...
big_smile.png

Oh, I would rather get them from a BYC member too, but they would have to be shipped? I have limited transportation so even in the state of MN, unless it was VERY close (like southeastern MN) I wouldnt be able to pick them up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom