Best Products To Eliminate Chicken Coop and Run Odor?

Robert Kazlauski

Chirping
Nov 9, 2023
I have 4 female chicks that will go into a coop with a run in the Spring. I do not want to offend my neighbors with offensive chicken odor. I dont want to get reported either. I have a concern with one person, but hope I am wrong. What are the very BEST products to use to eliminate odor in both the coop and run? I am willing to use multiple products. And how do I apply them? I APPRECIATE ANY HELP. Thanks.

I have 4 female chicks that will go into a coop with a run in the Spring. I do not want to offend my neighbors with offensive chicken odor. I dont want to get reported either. I have a concern with one person, but hope I am wrong. What are the very BEST products to use to eliminate odor in both the coop and run? I am willing to use multiple products. And how do I apply them? I APPRECIATE ANY HELP. Thanks.
For the coop, I would highly recommend horse bedding pellets. We've used them for many years in our coop and there is zero odors and maintenance is just making sure they get stirred up. Replace every spring. They could work for your run too but if it gets wet like from rain/snow, then no, as these would absorb everything then be sawdust.

We put down about 4" in the spring and never touch them until the next spring.

Attachments

• Pellets 2.gif
    Pellets 2.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 4
I have 4 female chicks that will go into a coop with a run in the Spring.
How old are they? Why wait until spring?
Can you post pictures of your coop and run?
The three most important factors in maintaining an odor free coop and run are:
  • Keep everything as DRY as possible. That means a run with a solid roof and proper drainage so water does not puddle in the run.
  • Proper space per bird. Overcrowding is a recipe for disaster not only in the offensive odor department but in behavioral issues and disease. Give the birds at least 15 sq ft per bird between the coop and run space.
  • Remove as much of the poop load daily as possible. This means: POOP BOARDS (aka - the Holy Grail of poop management in the coop.)

Last edited:
For the coop, I would highly recommend horse bedding pellets. We've used them for many years in our coop and there is zero odors and maintenance is just making sure they get stirred up. Replace every spring. They could work for your run too but if it gets wet like from rain/snow, then no, as these would absorb everything then be sawdust.

Thank you so much.

Wow, Thanks so much. My run would get wet with rain or snow, so what shoud I put in the run to kill odor?

x2 everything DobieLover said, but knowing your climate and what materials are readily available would help a lot in advising what would work better for you.

For example my run isn't covered and we have heavy rains from fall to summer but odor isn't an issue because I have a well established deep litter system and excellent drainage at the run location. Coop stays bone dry and I scoop poops inside daily to keep odor down in there.

Oh,one more thing I should also add, you mentioned worrying about neighbors reporting you. Are chickens legal in your area? More than odor I think noise would give you away, if that's the case. I'm mentioning it only because some folks think hens are quiet animals but that isn't always the case. I'm on 4 acres and I can hear a couple of my hens past my neighbor's 2 acre property.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, like rosemary thyme, I scoop the poop every morning in the coop. Coop is dry. I have sand in my run and it gets the scoop every day as well. Maybe a 10 minute job max because I check the girls over as they are getting off the roosting bar so that ties me up for a few minutes.:)

In addition to all the excellent advice, for your run, I would suggest putting down a thick layer of wood chips, preferable mixed with something else biodegradable and absorbent like twigs and leaves. You want a thick layer to prevent muddy, stagnant water from collecting. Odors aside, both you and your chickens will benefit form being out of the mud.

Back
Top Bottom