Best winter layers?

craftymama86

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
On the side of a knoll...
I'm not sure if this should be under this topic or under BREEDS but I would like to know which breeds lay the most during winter?

We have mostly BO's and RIR's but have a couple BR's and a couple EE. About 12 laying hens and most days we only get 1-2 eggs and some days no eggs.

Actually, here's another question... About how many laying hens would one need to get maybe 5 eggs per day?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have no trouble getting enough eggs in winter from my BRs ,RIRs, and Blackstars. The EEs pretty much shutdown in winter. If you are not getting at least 4 eggs a day from the numbers posted on your profile then maybe they are molting or some other physical cause.
My girls range in age from 1 yr - 3 yrs old. When they molt ...they molt and shut down all egg production.

It does have to do with the lighting as well. My electric went out in my hen house and I have been working so much I hadn't had time for anyone to come out and look at it so with my 37 hens I have not gotten an egg in two months. I have EE, Faverolles, s.Sussex, cochins, and a seperate house w/ 10 D'Uccles.

Last edited:
Yea, for the most part one of our BR's is the main one laying right now and I believe a RIR... And possibly a BO or an EE... We have a new set of hens so I'm still figuring out which of the newbies are laying. We did get one greenish one from our new EE but that was the only one... And I'm still learning the difference between color of our BO and BSL, lol.

So, for sure I KNOW we're getting eggs from our BR.
roll.png

When we started out with chickens, about 1 year ago, we had 1 BR and 1 RIR, aside from the roosters. So I've learned their egg colors but the others are slightly different and so I'm still trying to figure those out. Fuuuuun.
tongue.png

I have BR's, EE's, Black Australorps, d'Uccles, and Silkies.

The Barred rocks are laying steady; followed by my EE's.

The Australorps seem to be molting along with the d'Uccle.

One of the Silkies just started laying again after a month's break.

BO's are good about laying in winter unless they're molting. Then again I have one BO that isn't laying and for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Back
Top Bottom