Bielefelder Leg Issues???

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
I have 3 Bielefelder cockerels. 2 of them seem to have messed up legs and have been that way since chicks. They look down and almost stare at their legs when walking sometimes. They so seem to completely lack proper balance and have fallen over multiple times when trying to run. This is my first time with the breed so I want to prevent this in the future if I can. They are very large birds and I'm wondering if they grew too fast? Has anyone else had similar issues with Bielefelders?

I have 3 Bielefelder cockerels. 2 of them seem to have messed up legs and have been that way since chicks. They look down and almost stare at their legs when walking sometimes. They so seem to completely lack proper balance and have fallen over multiple times when trying to run. This is my first time with the breed so I want to prevent this in the future if I can. They are very large birds and I'm wondering if they grew too fast? Has anyone else had similar issues with Bielefelders?
I haven't had any issues with any of my flock of Bielefelder's. Where did you get yours from?

I don't have Bielefelders, so I can't say if it's a breed-specific thing, but it sounds like vitamin deficiency. I've read that large dual purpose birds can have leg problems, though.

Did you hatch them or get them from a breeder/hatchery?

I got all 3 from Greenfire Farms. I had hoped they would be better quality from there. We have about 10 Bielefelder pullets from Cackle and none of them have these issues. Although none of them are as big as these guys. They have been eating All Flock and are about 5 months old. They also free range. Should they be on a different feed?

I got all 3 from Greenfire Farms. I had hoped they would be better quality from there. We have about 10 Bielefelder pullets from Cackle and none of them have these issues. Although none of them are as big as these guys. They have been eating All Flock and are about 5 months old. They also free range. Should they be on a different feed?
Sounds like you're feed is fine, but you might try giving them vitamin E, either tablets or squeezing out a capsule. I think it's 400 IU per bird daily until symptoms improve.

I have also had leg problems with my bielefelder cockerels.

Mine grew very fast.. dressing out at 4# by 16 weeks.

I never had ANY leg problems..

Noting I use Purina flock raiser which is way higher in amino acids than *most* standard chick starter feed.

What is their actual age and feed routine including treats and supplements? Were the vaccinated against Marek's? Did they ever have to be treated for coccidiosis?

(I'm under the impression) Cackle got their birds from GFF a few years back.. that feed should be fine. Mine came from both places and I didn't have trouble with either. GFF is still just a hatchery.. they just get some imported breeds earlier than most other hatcheries. Which to me also take a bit more work when dealing with limited gene pool, regarding some of the more rare options.

Can you post a video of them falling over? Sounds mostly like clumsiness.. but maybe we can discern any neurological symptoms if they are present.

Mine grew very fast.. dressing out at 4# by 16 weeks.

I never had ANY leg problems..

Noting I use Purina flock raiser which is way higher in amino acids than *most* standard chick starter feed.

What is their actual age and feed routine including treats and supplements? Were the vaccinated against Marek's? Did they ever have to be treated for coccidiosis?

(I'm under the impression) Cackle got their birds from GFF a few years back.. that feed should be fine. Mine came from both places and I didn't have trouble with either. GFF is still just a hatchery.. they just get some imported breeds earlier than most other hatcheries. Which to me also take a bit more work when dealing with limited gene pool, regarding some of the more rare options.

Can you post a video of them falling over? Sounds mostly like clumsiness.. but maybe we can discern any neurological symptoms if they are present.
I have tried all day to get a video of one of them walking weird or falling over. But I have not been successful. My husband has said from day 1 he thinks there is something mentally wrong with at least one of them. He will tuck his head under his chest and walk backwards for a while and then just flop over. It is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen a chicken do in my life. Or sometimes he will put his head on the ground and walk forward, dragging his head. I just don't understand what is wrong with him.

Earlier in the summer we treated the entire flock for Coccidiosis, so yes they did receive treatment for that. They were also vaccinated for Mareks. They free range so they have a lot freedom in whatever snacks nature provides. Other than that, they get scraps from the garden. I will continue to try and get a video of them. Thank you.

He will tuck his head under his chest and walk backwards for a while and then just flop over.
Very often an early symptom of wry neck (star gazing/torticollis).. vitamin deficiency.. E, selenium, and don't forget the thiamine..

https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017811331-Wry-Neck

Even though your feed may be sufficient for most, some individuals may experience higher needs. Storage conditions could have reduced nutrients.

Thiamine.. happens to be what Corid mimics to starve out and slow the growth of the coccidia. Using it doesn't cause deficiency though. My line of questioning was looking for possible enteric necrosis (dead intestines causing absorption issues).. but that would be most likely in cases of very severe coccidiosis, and come to think of it.. have never herd of it in a live bird and not sure how it could otherwise be diagnosed.

At this point I would consider supplementing with Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell (mixed into moist feed as it doesn't mix well with water).. and also consider it a neurological symptom. Other supplementation considerations would be another form of E and B complex added to feed (doses unknown). Noting NO supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row without veterinary supervision.

Since we are talking about a possible deficiency of sort while feed routine is sound.. I would consider taking a fecal sample to the vet for a float to look for other internal parasites.. or possibly even just treating since sometimes they pass only intermittently.. but prefer to be familiar first with MY parasite load relative to my soil, weather conditions, livestock density and types, wildlife load, etc. Only tape worms and large round worms can be seen in droppings, usually under heavy load.. all others only microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass.

I would also consider harvesting and not breeding forward for any reason since the husband thinks something was off from day 1. It's a hard line to take, but with good cause.. IF the dame had a nutrient deficiency in the first place maybe it's a genetic weakness. Since I never purposely cut back to one breeding rooster due to possible accidents, illness, etc.. I might keep the two extra in a separate stag pen until more boys are hatched and coming along.

These are just considerations and may not line up with YOUR goals.. which ultimately is what I'm here to support!

:fl

Back
Top Bottom