Big enough coop?

Terrie Mac

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Our small coop in progress is 4’x5’ (plus 1’ nesting box) and 3’ tall. We don’t have a chicken run, but hope to utilize our large portable dog pen as often as possible.
I'm getting the chickens next week...do you think that 4 standard chickens could dwell happily in this abode?

92140_unfinished.jpg

It'll hold 4-5 easily. Looks dandy! Needs walls to keep the weather out though. But if your just using it as coop space it will do just fine.

Last edited:
If they will be allowed into a run each day, assuming the run is a good size, yes. But you make it sound like they won't necessarily have access to a run each day (or maybe I'm reading that wrong)?? If that's the case, then no, that is not enough space. Four sq. ft. of housing is the generally recommended minimum indoor space, and 10 sq. feet of run space (so appx. 14 sq. ft. total each for LF). Assuming (based on the open pen) that you're in a year round warm weather area, the pen should be more than enough room for night roosting and egg laying, but they would certainly need more space than that during the day, when they are active.

I'm concerned about the wire floor. Maybe you were already planning this, but I'd lay a piece of plywood or OSB or linoleum or whatever on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom