Bio Spot hell

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
I haven't been around much lately, but I endured a horrible experience yesterday. Since the cat is doing much better and my mind is at ease, I now have room to feel extremely ticked off.

My mother dosed the cat with Bio Spot, which she was told was just basically a generic version of Frontline. She read the package - no horrific warnings or list of nasty things that could happen. In hindsight, perhaps some quick Google-action wouldn't have gone amiss, but hindsight is 20/20 and when you purchase something at the pet store, you have the (perhaps false) assumption that is safe.

The cat began acting strangely, but that was chalked up to him being annoyed, as usual, over having the stuff put on him. It only got worse, ending with him having horrible seizures, finishing up with a grand mal. All I can say is thank God for the emergency vet in the area. He was treated for flea medicine toxicity and kept over night. Today he is doing much better, still dopey from the Valium and a bit twitchy (for 4-5 days, they said), but his spirits are better and he's gotten back to his usual self. Although no one said it aloud at the time, I think we were all sure he was going to die in our arms - it was not looking good. Not only was it traumatizing for the poor cat, but for us as well.

Since then, I have been looking online and many people have suffered because of this (and other over the counter) flea meds. Many not being as lucky as us and losing their beloved pet.

I cannot even fathom how these products are allowed to be sold, considering how many instances there are of death or at the very least, extreme distress. The insecticide in these over the counter meds attack flea and ticks' nervous systems, but cannot distinguish between the nervous system of a bug and an animal or human. Some animals can tolerate it, others obviously can't. I don't know about anyone else, but I do not think a pet should have to 'tolerate' anything like this. The label says that if any sensitivity should occur, bathe your pet. The problem with that is that this medicine does not work topically. It is absorbed into the bloodstream. Not only that, animals (particularly cats) groom themselves so may ingest it.

We will definitely be contacting them about the $500 vet bill and then we will be contacting the media. I know it may seem like the blame should rest on pet owners' shoulders, but your average person has faith (quite probably misplaced faith) in medicine that is given to you and is supposed to protect your animals. This product should not be sold and I would strongly urge everyone on here to not use Bio Spot or any of the other over the counter flea meds. Even if a reaction does not occur, the risk of it is too big to take. Watching a pet having a severe seizure is not an experience I would wish on anyone.

Sorry for the rant - I needed to get it off my chest as well as send a warning out. I will definitely be handing over a bag of DE to my parents - that's for sure!

Last edited:
Whoa....you were lucky. I lost my dog and had another get very sick after I sprayed them with "Blockade" that I got at the pet store for fleas. That was a while back. The vet that treated the other dog told me to NEVER use Blockade.

My husband's grandpa put dog flea and tick stuff on a cat and it did the same thing, luckily the cat made it through and his son is sitting beside me right now. Did your mom use bio spot for dogs instead of the cat formula?

Think of it this way. These are chemicals...poisons. You wouldn't put poison on yourself so why put it on your pets? I quit flea and tick meds. I'm strictly DE.

Last edited:
I'm glad you cat is better!!
hugs.gif

Thank you! But I am sorry to hear this about your cat. I am glad he is feeling better.

We just got a full sized, free sample of "Bio Spot" for our dogs. I haven't used it yet. We use Frontline but don't put it on them all the time and we never give them a full dose. I went to www.biospot.com after I saw it at the feed store for $13.95 and they were offering a free sample.
roll.png

I'm sorry for your loss, Chicknlittle
sad.png
I think we only made it by a hair and I can't say how happy I am for the Reach animal hospital that services people after hours.

Souther28chick - I'm in full agreement there. Since I discovered the joys of DE, I'm never going back. I've already given my parents directions to where it is sold and will be taking them a hefty bit over tomorrow. They are poisons and I'm still completely clueless as to how these are still being sold. Most people don't think to look deeper or consider them poisons. I don't think that makes anyone stupid, just underinformed. Which is why I think we'll contact the media. Up until now, I hadn't heard of cases like this before.

She definitely used the cat formula because we were reading the package after returning from the vet to see if she missed any horrible warnings. I did read online, though, that a while back, Bio Spot had a packaging error and doses for 30+ pound dogs were being packaged as cat dosages. Still, no recall.

Thank you nutmeggie and JustChicky. Please do not use that free sample! I'm sure there's a chance it wouldn't harm your animals, but just in case I would not chance it at all.

* We used BIO-SPOT for years on our sheba dog without any problems. Fall of last year though it seemed to stop working. We tried 4-5 others, including Frontline with NO apparent results!!!!! Then, just found out last month that she'd contracted sarcoptic mange besides, and had to use the higher dose of ivermectin to get rid of that.

Last edited:
i've used that bio-spot stuff before and it was no good..it didnt control the fleas at all!...my vet said that those over the counter flea meds are bad..and also flea collars are supposed to be dangerous...i use revolution or advantage for my cats..so far(crossing fingers)..no problems..and no fleas.sorry about your kitty..Wendy

The sad thing about Bio Spot and all of the other topical medications is that they are systemic and more pets have gotten illnesses which some people believe have been linked with their usage. They do kill fleas and ticks but it's still a poison coursing through your pet and it's got to affect an animal one way or another. Even if it kills ticks, it doesn't protect the animal from Lyme disease, it just kills the tick so that the owner won't get it. It's like a Catch-22 situation, we want to protect our pets from parasites but often need to use poisons that we're not supposed to touch according to the labels!

yeah..it is scary...and i have tried those organic ones..etc..they didnt work...but you have to fleas in check or it will be hell...it is a catch-22...;o(..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom