Bird Vets? What does it take to be one?

NapoleanGoose

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Bishop CA
Hi,
I'm in my Junior Year of highschool and I'm looking at what I want to go and do after school. I've always wanted to be a police officer, ever since I was like, 4. But now I'm not so sure, I have so many other options and talents. I know I'll probably change my mind halfway through college or something like most people do, but I'm really interested in bird vets. I know they are sparse and hard to find. We have none for 300 miles here, and back where I used to live it was the same. What does it take to be a vet specializing in birds? It's about 8 years of school, right? Are there any better colleges or majors for the job? Birds make me happy, and I love working with them. I think I would very happy with a job like this, and I've always loved science and biology and such.

Another branch of thought, what about a traveling bird vet? Since they are so hard to find, I thought it would be amazing if a bird vet would travel. To towns, or shows, or something.

Any vet info would be amazing. Thank you so much.

Well, it depends what type of birds you want to work with, chickens, waterfowl, wild fowl, gamebirds, pet birds (finches, canaries,) Parrots, wild songbirds, many more..... There are also things you should have knowledge in, such as basic emergency treatment, how to set a broken bone, how to give intramuscular injections, and correct doses, basic meds to give sick birds, sources to ask questions, whether it's a colleague, book, ect. and you need to have basic anatomy knowledge, and basic field experience with ALL the Avis specie, because they have different anatomies, health issues, and needs. You also need the correct college, such as Washington State University.

Most avian vets are also small animal vets. Birds simply do not have enough monetary value to warrant fixing most of the time. You would need money to purchase your supplies, medications, vaccinations, etc. Then there's the issue of biosecurity, you will have to take measures to ensure that each place you visit won't impact your next visit, change of clothes, bleach spray, etc.

Most avian vets are employed under contract by companies. These companies do not allow their vets to have their own birds out of biosecurity reasons. You must have knowledge of avian anatomy, diseases, and stay up to date on local outbreaks.

Thank you. Brisinger, I've learned much of what I know about injections, intermuscular, subcutaneous, ect, from my Agricultural class when we medicate the animals. As for the rest it would have to come with time and work and a couple of internships I would think. I live in California, are there any colleges you know down here that specialize in veterinary knowledge?

Rodriguez, Thank you, that is true. Especially if I decided to stay close to home for a while, there would be very little business in just birds. Sadly, I think this idea of going places may actually be more difficult then easy as it seemed to begin with. Plus, I don't think I could live without birds. Perhaps local is the way to go?

University of California, Western University of Health Sciences

Those are the 2 main ones in Cali, but I still recommend WSU, they are the leading university, and WA isn't very far from Cali,

Thanks! Yeah, actually my sister is going to WSU funnily enough. She plans to be a history professor though. Our room mate used to live there so we hear all kinds of stories about how pretty it is, and rainy. Thats a nice thing when you live in CA, what with our 350 days of sun a year.

Back
Top Bottom