Birds HOT!

Fat Daddy

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Ks
Its been 100+ heat index for 2 weeks or better now. I have lost no birds yet, knock on wood, but they are suffer'n. Ice water and fans can only do so much. Stand around pant'n like a dog... Hows your birds handle'n this heat wave? Anybody lost birds to the HOT?
cool.png
Bill

I have been giving mine vit. C in their water and providing more fans. No deaths but a rat snake did sneak in. The guineas got that one
big_smile.png

its hot like that everyday here, my birds have the luxury to be in the back yard where its all shade, but i also give them vit c in the water to help them cope with the heat. If it gets really bad, box fan will go there.

other then that i don't think there is to much you can do, aside from cutting a hole in the coop and putting a window AC unit in there.

I lost five three week old Jumbo Coturnix last night. It's awfully hot here. Fingers crossed it gets better soon.

Quote:
Welcome to Southern-Gulf-Misery, Bill.....
sad.png
Not sure on all breeds, but as long as those Bobs are not in a coop that's got a low hanging metal roof right above their heads to disperse the radiant heat right down on them, they'll be fine with enough water. Those heat indicies are common here for at least 2 months. I have never lost any birds that I could say was contributed by the heat..........just mainly domestic violence.
hmm.png

Quote:
GUINEA FAST FOOD?
smile.png

Oh yes, and what's up with squirrels found dead lately? Those guineas are a riot lately
lau.gif
Forget McDonalds when you have squirrel McDonalds on Stellar Ranch and it's FREE

I actually liked our 60 mph winds here in Lee County (not sure how other areas were affected since I watch the news directed to Fort myers), but that was a nice 5 hour cooling to clean cages...not so much fun seeing the house roof flyin a bit though.

Back
Top Bottom