Birds HOT!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fat Daddy, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Its been 100+ heat index for 2 weeks or better now. I have lost no birds yet, knock on wood, but they are suffer'n. Ice water and fans can only do so much. Stand around pant'n like a dog... Hows your birds handle'n this heat wave? Anybody lost birds to the HOT? [​IMG] Bill

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have been giving mine vit. C in their water and providing more fans. No deaths but a rat snake did sneak in. The guineas got that one [​IMG]

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Got to hate RATS and SNAKES!!!

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    None have died yet, they're pantin real hard though...

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:GUINEA FAST FOOD? [​IMG]

6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    its hot like that everyday here, my birds have the luxury to be in the back yard where its all shade, but i also give them vit c in the water to help them cope with the heat. If it gets really bad, box fan will go there.

other then that i don't think there is to much you can do, aside from cutting a hole in the coop and putting a window AC unit in there.

7. CarriageStone

CarriageStone Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    I lost five three week old Jumbo Coturnix last night. It's awfully hot here. Fingers crossed it gets better soon.

8. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Welcome to Southern-Gulf-Misery, Bill..... [​IMG] Not sure on all breeds, but as long as those Bobs are not in a coop that's got a low hanging metal roof right above their heads to disperse the radiant heat right down on them, they'll be fine with enough water. Those heat indicies are common here for at least 2 months. I have never lost any birds that I could say was contributed by the heat..........just mainly domestic violence. [​IMG]

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:GUINEA FAST FOOD? [​IMG]

Oh yes, and what's up with squirrels found dead lately? Those guineas are a riot lately [​IMG] Forget McDonalds when you have squirrel McDonalds on Stellar Ranch and it's FREE

I actually liked our 60 mph winds here in Lee County (not sure how other areas were affected since I watch the news directed to Fort myers), but that was a nice 5 hour cooling to clean cages...not so much fun seeing the house roof flyin a bit though.

10. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    We put this in the garage to keep us cool...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Found an old chord and hooked it up. Best part is it was free. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by