I agree with you that they arent pure. Heres my production blues which are blue australorps bred with RIRs. They have that red leakage. While they're beautiful and the most friendly birds I own, I understand the frustration when you wanted to breed pure australorps.
Thank you for sharing your photos. Yes, I am disappointed and frustrated.

What are your thoughts on whether my chicks are hen vs roo? My inexperienced guess is E&F are roo....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Cockerels - F is the main suspect right now.

You get a GOLD star for your pics, btw! Great shots - everything needed for helping you out!

Here is a pic of my new batch of 4 day old BJG chicks. Their feet are yellow on the bottom - when they are this young, even the toes can be yellow. As they get older, the feet even out and are black (along with shanks), with yellow in the between-toe webbing and on the bottom of the feet. So, often it is asked what color are the feet bottoms when a black/white chick is posted. BA and BJG look pretty similar when young chicks.
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.33.52 PM.png

Thanks! As a professional trainer, I believe in the power of appropriate visuals in communication and learning. =D

You're right! The BA and BJG chicks look alike except for the feet/toes! The breeder doesn't keep BJGs, so I wonder if the yellow I'm seeing is actually yellow. :D I've read elsewhere in BYC that what some call yellow are actually pink!

We'll wait for a few more weeks and then we'll know better. I'll share updated photos in a couple of weeks.

Thank you, Acre4Me!

any updated photos?

any updated photos?
Hi! I was actually thinking of this today. And I was wondering if I can properly identify who's who among the "chicks". They've grown so much since 4 weeks ago!!!

I'll take new pics this week. Thanks for keeping them in mind. =)

Hello! I finally took pics of my now 10-week old BAs --- who like I suspected early on are not all pure BAs. The bigger they grow, the more I doubt if any of them are at all.

Again, to the BA experts, I'd appreciate it if you could answer:

1) Can you tell me which ones are pure BAs?
2) Which ones are cockerel/pullet? I intend to keep any pullets that are mixes for their egg-laying but not for breeding. I'll keep only one or two pure BA roosters. I intend to giveaway the rest (there will be takers!).

Obvious mixes:
D - with other color present
C, H, I - for yellow feet

Other notes:
A, B had brown faces especially when they were younger
F has a couple of black and white flight feathers and also white speckles on the chest
G has white speckles on the chest

Could only E be pure??

Thanks for taking the time to look. Please note that the letter IDs here are different from the first set. I can't recognize each of them from the original pics!

Cheers!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 10
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 13
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 14
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 13
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 12
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 11
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 11
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 10
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9
Hello! I finally took pics of my now 10-week old BAs --- who like I suspected early on are not all pure BAs. The bigger they grow, the more I doubt if any of them are at all.

Again, to the BA experts, I'd appreciate it if you could answer:

1) Can you tell me which ones are pure BAs?
2) Which ones are cockerel/pullet? I intend to keep any pullets that are mixes for their egg-laying but not for breeding. I'll keep only one or two pure BA roosters. I intend to giveaway the rest (there will be takers!).

Obvious mixes:
D - with other color present
C, H, I - for yellow feet

Other notes:
A, B had brown faces especially when they were younger
F has a couple of black and white flight feathers and also white speckles on the chest
G has white speckles on the chest

Could only E be pure??

Thanks for taking the time to look. Please note that the letter IDs here are different from the first set. I can't recognize each of them from the original pics!

Cheers!
D and E are cockerels. I is a possible cockerel, and has yellowish feet so isn’t pure. All are mixed except for F and G, though the amount of white on F is suspicious, it could all go away as she gets older.

Back
Top Bottom